• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Going Downhill?

Call it a drastic measure & don't agree with me, but I think a solution would be to limit the selling of reseller accounts to adults only (18+), or require a signed parental consent form for minors.

That would weed out almost all the silly offers we see here.

Not a bad move - hosting clients are sometimes of ages that should not have that access hosting in general.

Age is never (well almost) asked, can i have adult free hosting for example..

Unfortunately it'll never happen as most hosts are too money hungry to even consider this.

I don't think that would really be fair anyways though as not all kids are alike. A lot of youger people are more mature and motivated than others. And if they have the money to buy a reseller, why should they be denied?

That's where the parental consent comes into play.
When I was 13 I sure had enough for a pack of smokes, but why o why was I denied? ;)

Thats not a bad idea, but then like smokes, there would always be somewhere that would sell them to minors. Hopefully, sooner or later, the truth will prevail and everyone will realize the packages they're being sold are as genuine as dutch champagne.

can i point something out ?? almost all of us have had to put some money into our projects somewhere along the line, even just to buy a domain.

This requires buying online, and that requires at least a debit card or a live cash card. i know that until you are 16 ( or certainly in the UK ) you have to have your parents signed consent to get one of these cards, this would make the parental consent redundant, as if they have given consent for the child to buy online, and in stores, you can hardly require parental consent on each individual sale, what is more, the only full-proof way i can see of enforcing the policy you are suggesting, is to require people to sign up via credit cards, this would mean you cut out paypal -- NOT GOOD,

Im afraid this is one of the things we are stuck with, but i do think it is unfair to generalise, i know i was paying £15 a month for a good host and the age of 15, and i was running a few small projects from it, i wasnt iresponsible, and i know a lot of guys younger than that who are really clued up and wouldnt cause problems,

what you are proposing is effectively the same as only allowing seniors to buy magasines, as then vendors can charge more without fear of cutting their market, :( i dont think thats gonna happen.

just MO

AMC :wave:

These are exactly the reasons I got out of the industry, I simply couldn't compete with the free hosts offering the world...

the only full-proof way i can see of enforcing the policy you are suggesting, is to require people to sign up via credit cards, this would mean you cut out paypal -- NOT GOOD
Not quite. The way I see it is to fax in a copy of a government issued ID with a name matching the payment method.
That's already being done to verify potential fraud, so I don't see why it could not be applied to verify someone's age upon ordering a reseller account

i know i was paying £15 a month for a good host and the age of 15, and i was running a few small projects from it, i wasnt iresponsible, and i know a lot of guys younger than that who are really clued up and wouldnt cause problems
Just so we're talking about the same thing, you absolutely do not need a reseller account if all you do is host a few projects of yours. A normal shared account does the job just fine :) And is cheaper. A reseller is exactly what the name implies. To sell what you have.

And I'm sure the parents of responsible kids would have no problem signing a form acknowledging they are aware, and agree with their kid's usage of said reseller hosting account.

I bet 90% of kiddie host's parents have no idea what they're kid is doing online. And perhaps the same number would not allow such thing if someone with authority (read: the host) explained them clearly how it works and the numbers involved.

what you are proposing is effectively the same as only allowing seniors to buy magasines, as then vendors can charge more without fear of cutting their market, :(
This analogy makes no sense :)
Nobody said we should cut any hosting to underage people all together.

Back