• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Help!

conkermaniac

VIP
NLC
I can no longer access freewebspace.net without a proxy. I have run a traceroute, and it seems that the connection is being blocked by the gov't. Peo, do you have multiple IP addresses for FWS? Would it be possible to switch to a different IP to avoid the firewall? I don't see any harm in FWS, and I suspect that they were aiming at a more controversial site--FWS just happened to fall under the same umbrella of IP addresses.

Thank you!

From what I know we don't have any ips blocked. I'm sorry, we can't switch to new ip.

Yeh, this has happened to us as well. The chinese gov. is blocking ips for unknown reasons. Just wait til you move to MA such as in your location title.

And how come about 10 Chinese people a day post hosting request then? If they are blocked. Or only certain ISPs?

They can use Proxies.

Peo, seriously one word of warning, trust me on this.

China can and will USE local telephone companies to attack an IP that they feel are being worked around. Literally, take the network out if they can't win any other way.

It's quite a routine with them.

Wow, that'd get very ugly if the US got involved as they own all of most of the "rights" to the internet.

hottweelz said:
They can use Proxies.

Peo, seriously one word of warning, trust me on this.

China can and will USE local telephone companies to attack an IP that they feel are being worked around. Literally, take the network out if they can't win any other way.

It's quite a routine with them.
I have never heard of such a thing happening. Although their firewall is one of the most sophisticated around, people work around it all the time, and they know that. The firewall is meant to prevent the average Joes--most of whom have no clue what a "proxy" is--from accessing potentially volatile material. I am pretty sure that FWS wasn't their target, and there certainly would be no need to "take the network out."

And yes, I will be moving to Massachussetts for college, but that won't be until September. :S

Jan said:
You and Antonio should get together and have words with your government :)
I dont want to disagree with a moderator but I wouldn't mess with the Chines gov:nervous:

Back