• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Hi

krakjoe

stop staring
NLC
Hi chaps, hows life treating you ??

I am researching a project and came across some old postings, thought I'd say hello :)

Hi chaps, hows life treating you ??

I am researching a project and came across some old postings, thought I'd say hello :)

Ah finally, another person who only really seems to work on projects and does loads of research. I'm assuming the project is your threaded PHP "pthreads" ?

I haven't had any personal projects of my own since my days on FWS way back ... end of last year I had a break from work and decided I would have a project of my own: I have spent the last three years writing backend software in Java .... I hate java ... I think we all know, I love php, I think in it ...

So I read the bits of PHP I needed to know, within 5 days, I had something working, I spent another month on it 48 hours a day and brought it to pretty much where it is now - this nearly killed me - but it was totally worth it, for the first time in history PHP can multi-thread, in every SAPI and setup I have tested, and every operating system, including android: for those that have been waiting for it http://php.net/Thread is pretty amazing :D

I've also got myself involved in PHP, it's maintenance, development and bugs, and I love it, it's very rewarding ... and the best thing about it is, my boss loves it too, my abilities are unquestionable, it's difficult to find programmers I can work with in a team because I just end up rewriting everything written by anyone who isn't me, so I've no choice but to work on my own ... that's not always so productive: http://www.businessinsider.com/why-programmers-work-at-night-2013-1 when you're the only person in a team, and you live in a world of abstracts and models it can slow you down, no end, I find that being involved in PHP allows me to construct my models and abstracts and find solutions to problems by way of distraction, it gives me a way to productive by day and by night, and I'm much better off for it .... everyone with abilities, wether they are in PHP or C should get themselves involved in PHP. Everybody thinks that PHP is written by a million guys who all know every part of it, this just isn't true. All of the people I have had dealings with are very gifted in their area, but PHP is vast and a complex system, there's only a handful of people alive that know every part of it, the world of users it has developed bears down on them with quite some pressure. Everybody who writes with PHP thinks there are enough people involved to maintain and develop it to the standards we are used too, so they don't get involved themselves, they will happily report 20 bugs a year, but spend no time fixing documentation bugs reported by others. For everyones sake, I hope this is a trend that changes, you don't have to know C to be useful and productive, and everybody benefits. Rasmus tweeted a few weeks ago that every company of a certain size should commit a C developer if their stack uses PHP, and this is right, but I would go one further and say that everyone with the ability to report a bug at least has the ability to fix documentation bugs, everyone that can lend a hand in any way should, it is our duty.

Back