• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Homeless man knocks out $60 million dollars in circuits, NYC subway line crippled

niv

striking reality
NLC
Well, if anyone has seen pictures of the Tokyo subway system...that's what it's been like recently on all the subway lines...

subway.184.2.650.jpg

This is actually about as crowded as it gets NORMALLY, I can't imagine how bad it is now, since I don't ride that line. [Picture taken at Chambers Street-World Trade Center (A/C platform)]

932-fried_switches.JPG
Damaged circuits at the Chambers Street-World Trade Center signal complex--affects 8th Avenue Line service from 207th Street, Manhattan to Euclid Avenue, Brooklyn

53-jay_wait.JPG
People waiting outside Jay Street, Borough Hall (Brooklyn) for shuttle bus service to replace critical subway station service to High Street Brooklyn Bridge, wiped out with the lack of A/C service, and the A diverted onto the F line
---
Supposedly all of this was caused by just one homeless man's doing, but it's affecting 600,000 riders daily, and service has been cut into a third of normal rush hour capacity. This begs the question of the vulnerability of the NYC subway system, which has been considered as a target for terrorism (but they end up banning cameras instead).

Heads are expected to roll as the NY Daily News publishes an editorial calling for the resignation of the Chairman Lawerence G. Reuter if this cannot be fixed immediately.

---
On a side note, they're calling for fare hikes. This is what happens when the state government decides to stop funding things...

Last edited:
Oh yeah, the delays were about as bad as when Hurricane Francis rolled into town...what normally takes 45 minutes for me to get to my college's campus took 3 hours :confused2

EDIT:

Breaking news:

My line just got suspended thanks to a water main break somewhere along the line...roflcopter. Welcome to New York! :D

Last edited:
20 minutes until I leave for Chemistry Lab...hopefully I get there on time... :rolleyes:

Transportation problems are random, you never know how long it will take.

Last September I left for school well over an hour and a half early to work out some stuff with the deans...I ended up being late by two hours. :p

thats cause you'r in west-island and don't use the metro

but yea, no major stuff happens here but when it does it's usually some minor "We regret to announce a service slowdown caused by a lit fire in a trash bin, please stand by" and don't last more then 10 minutes :p

I always use the metro, what're you talking about?

I never, ever, got stuck on the metro before, or experienced any slowdowns and crap. :p

that's because you dont use it on a daily basis to get to school for example
john abott isnt accesible my metro from your place

thus you can't accurately gauge STM's reliability :p

Our subway lines date back as far as 1904, and still use 19th century signalling systems for the most part. Plus, we have over 650mi of track and millions and millions of commuters day in and day out. It works, but money and politics trump service quality and guarantees.

Wojtek said:
that's because you dont use it on a daily basis to get to school for example
john abott isnt accesible my metro from your place

thus you can't accurately gauge STM's reliability :p
Every other day I go from Cote-Vertu to Guy-Concordia, never had a problem.

Back