• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Hosting using your personal computer

mjg7

With personal Internet connections getting faster every day, I think it's time people start using them more, rather that relying on hosting services provided by others.

For example, there are thousands of "host your files here" services which encourage users to upload their files to a web server online and provide a link for others to download. Most of these services are either plastered with advertising or require payment of some sort.

So, why do so many people do this when they can host the files directly from their computer?

Here are my thoughts:

1. Many people don’t realize that any personal computer can operate like other web servers on the internet.
2. Setting up a web server can be difficult.
3. Need to either remember an IP address or use an additional service to link a name to an IP address.
4. IP addresses are often dynamically provided by the ISP making connecting difficult.

With these problems in mind I have been developing a solution. MyDiskServer is a Java web start application, which turns any computer into a personal web server with a single click. Upon registering an identity, MyDiskServer performs network testing and IP address management and makes it easy to add user accounts and specify files to share. I'm currently testing the service and would love to hear what people think.

More information available at:

http://hostyourself.net

What about hosting restrictions imposed by a lot of ISP's - surely this is asking people to break their provider's T&C's :)

How is this easier than using a dynamic IP service and one of the 1 click Apache/PHP/MySQL installers ?

monaghan said:
What about hosting restrictions imposed by a lot of ISP's - surely this is asking people to break their provider's T&C's :)

The majority of ISPs, certainly in the UK, do not worry about users running servers on their personal computers as they simply place a limit on the bandwidth that can be consumed. Obviously using a DSL or slower connection would not support a massive number of users, but it's great for testing, mucking around and hosting family pictures etc.

monaghan said:
How is this easier than using a dynamic IP service and one of the 1 click Apache/PHP/MySQL installers ?

There is nothing to install. It's Java web start, and is only a 250KB download, it generates pretty directory listings and image pages out of the box and user accounts can be added with a couple of clicks.

This is aimed at users who might not have the time or experience to install a full blown web server and also set up a dynamic IP service.

Mike.

The T&C's on most of the UK ISP's I've had dealings with don't allow it, however in practise, most will not block you or cut you off :)

I've been using dynamic IP to get remote access into my test servers in my home office for years :)

Best of luck with it.

Just a quick question though, how many "Normal" PC's have a current up-to-date Java runtime ?

mjg7 said:
The majority of ISPs, certainly in the UK, do not worry about users running servers on their personal computers as they simply place a limit on the bandwidth that can be consumed.

Wrong. AOL do not allow this and nor do Freeserve and Bulldog.

hosting-shack said:
Wrong. AOL do not allow this and nor do Freeserve and Bulldog.

I've just been looking through both AOLs and Wanadoos (previously known as freeserve) terms and conditions and cant find any clause stating the user can not run a server on their connection.

It may be hidden somewhere, I was unaware this was true. Many software applications, for example MSN messenger run small servers to allow file transfer. How do they still abide by the rules?

monaghan said:
Just a quick question though, how many "Normal" PC's have a current up-to-date Java runtime ?

MyDiskServer only requires Java 1.4 which has been around for over 4 years now. It's pretty darn easy to install Java now anyway. I inform the user if Java needs to be installed automatically on the web page.

Many new PCs come with java pre installed. Most Linux installations and Mac OSX also can run MyDiskServer out of the box.

mjg7 said:
I've just been looking through both AOLs and Wanadoos (previously known as freeserve) terms and conditions and cant find any clause stating the user can not run a server on their connection.

It may be hidden somewhere, I was unaware this was true. Many software applications, for example MSN messenger run small servers to allow file transfer. How do they still abide by the rules?

AOL blocks Port 80, a friend of mine tryed to run a server and could not :p

Wanadoo/Freeserve (Soon to be owned by Orange :S) do not allow you to run webservers, I found out the hard way :p My broadband got canceled. I'm now with Bulldog, who also do not allow it (I've called their customer helpline this time :p)

Last edited:
MyDiskServer does not use port 80 by default. I guess using a non standard port helps ensure my service will be more widely available to people who have restrictive ISPs.

Many services use HTTP but are not known as web servers, so I guess that if I do not refer to MyDiskServer as a web server it will offer my users a degree of protection.

What do you think?

I'd suggest you put something with a checkbox to proceed to get the user to check their ISP's T&C's allow the tool to be used before completing the install.

You've then covered yourself :)

Sounds like a great idea! I suggest you add limits to how users can download so they dont overload your computer. Also hotlinking and leeching precautions.

It's a great idea to a point. If your site gets popular than if your internet or computer goes down than the website goes down. Whereas if you use a dedicated server at a datacenter it'll almost always be up. Plus hosting websites on your home computer might not be as fast if you use a Broadband connection like DSL or Cable internet. Many companies do not allow you to do this as stated above, but some will not care.

Someone said bulldog don't allow it, you're wrong, they do and are, and even provide static ip addresses for £4.99 a month....

Reasons why not to:

- You can have power outs
- Want to use that computer to host a LAN game when your mates are over
- Spill coke over it
- Go away for a week and not want to leave it on
- Move house
- Change your ISP
- Have your internet terminated for running a server
- Random dropouts
- Cannot monitor 24x7
- For a file host, you need RAID 0 or 1
- If your running a host, you need to pay for cpanel. Cheaper to buy a server just about.
- If your running a file server, you wont get the upload speed you need
- If the site/s get too big, you simply cannot cluster at home

Short list? :p.

I think it´s great to run a personal web server, but of course, even if you do
have it all covered up (like beeing the 1 man band and not having hollydays)
speed makes it hard to run big pages, even with little users.

But it is great to learn. And that port bloking is not really an issue, if you´re just learning and having some fun with it. Have no-ip deal with the dynamic ip. Have a power back up, pray, and you can offer some nice packages like;

10 mb space, 50 mb bandwith
1 ftp account
8kbps voice quality audio streaming
no control panel, but root access! (yeah)
Do what you want, if possible.

all for free!

start now! no activation needed!

(here are the passwords)

nice package ah?

I run a "home server" with 99.99% up time:), true!. the only down-time I had was when my girl friend was doing some stuff in paint and after turned the pc off. That and some usual crashes.

of course

Back