• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

How many Hard Disk fits in 1 dedicated?

1U server can hold 2-4 disks. 2U, 3U can have more. What kind of server are you mentioning about?

That's not true. A 44U server with only 1 IDE and SATA port can only hold 3. It doesn't matter how big they are, it depends on the motherboard as well as if add-on cards are purchased.

i never heard about these 1U, 2U, 3U servers. but it's nice knowing. thanks! really helpful .:)

research it, its essential knowledge for hosts especially when collocating (having your own servers in rented space) as the larger the servers the larger the costs. (there are other factors but no need to worry about them;) )

since your a file host I'm guessing you're interested in acquiring as much HD space as possible. Consider a dedicated file server, you're likely to be able to get a better deal on a specialized server.

If you're really unsure just go ahead and ask what the cheapest rate per G/B is that you can get - bear in mind on a typical server the hd is going to be one of the lower costs, so again its worth looking into file servers.

There's an 8U case that has 30+2HD bays and can only hold an ATX board (not even EATX). Then there's an 8U case that holds 4HD's, dual motherboards for 8 way opteron setups to handle over 64GB of RAM. The U's are the size, 1U equalling a certain size (in inches) that is a rack standard. Most racks in DC's I believe are 42-48U, but I have seen 54U racks. The largest single case I've seen was 12U. For hosting, I normally go 4U's. They have better air cooling, allow me to easily get 2TB's of space through 4 500GB drives, plus room for OS disks to be RAID 1. They also have plenty of room for a dual core dual processor unit.

i never heard about these 1U, 2U, 3U servers. but it's nice knowing. thanks! really helpful .:)
If you're hosting your own server you pay for the space it occupies. Most general internet webservers are located inside a tall rack which holds up to 40-50 1U servers, like this one. Your server can take up any amount of space, so long as it's rack-mountable and you pay for that space!

That's not true. A 44U server with only 1 IDE and SATA port can only hold 3. It doesn't matter how big they are, it depends on the motherboard as well as if add-on cards are purchased.

I am not sure what you're mentioning about. A 44U server??? What did I write wrong?

If you're hosting your own server you pay for the space it occupies. Most general internet webservers are located inside a tall rack which holds up to 40-50 1U servers, like this one. Your server can take up any amount of space, so long as it's rack-mountable and you pay for that space!

It really depends on the cooling and power in datacenter. Many datacenters offer only 20 amps per 42U rack, so with 80% rule, you can hole around 10-14 servers per rack. Then you can choose 10 x 3U servers, or something like that. On other hand, the modern datacenters with better cooling can offer up to 60 amps per rack. That can allow you to use around 30-35 servers 1 U.

Most of my servers are supermicro, so they are 1U. Allows me to better utilize a 44U rack. They are all cooled to 65 degrees in the DC already so that's not really an issue. They easily fit 2 x 750GB hard drives. Our racks are powered by 30 amps each, so it can be filled quite nicely. The switches and reboot switches also take up space though.

Back