• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

How much space does a typical website use?

worlditsme

I currently offer 100MB Webspace to customers and am thinking of reviewing this limit, therefore I was wondering how much space some of you would use for a typical website.

100MB is fine, it allows for pages, pics an MP3 of me singing my head off a 3gp vid of the party. :)

Or in more serious terms loads for any site, unless they have big downloads.

In general 100 MB should be plenty for a static website. Some CMS systems would probably need a bit more, say 300-400 MB, unless they had a lot of images and content. 1GB seems to be the standard these days for free host offerings, although I'm sure most free hosting clients rarely use over 100MB unless they have a pretty popular forum, or they're using it for file storage.

For a free hosting, you can just give them 100MB-300MB, since I don't see any free hosting users use more than 250MB.
Those who are serious about their websites, usually they will go for paid hosting even before they reach the limit of what they get from free hosting.

A typical website? 100KB-5MB. Forums/Blogs tend to use anywhere from 10MB to 50MB.

In all honesty, for free web hosting 100MB is about all you need to offer. 1GB is the standard these days, but it's not like you are required to go with what the crowd does.

I would offer it in layers. Start with 200MB as a basic package, and then once the person feels he/she needs more space, they may apply for a 500MB package subject to an evaluation by you. After that 1GB. You'll always be the better one to judge as you can check up whether they really need additional space. From a psychological point of view, because 1GB for some or reason has become a new bench mark for Free Webspace, it would make a difference for someone who is looking for Free Webspace, particularly if they don't know how much 200MB is and they have a project in mind that may grow in size, to know that there would be potential for expanding.
:)

I agree with the new 1GB benchmark, because I don't like to be hemmed in by hosts deciding "what I need". I was finding that space usage began to creep up with version changes & updates. I have Widescreen and Mobile versions of my pages, so overall things accumulate. As people get social in a Post Facebook world, their pics will take up space too.

Hard disk have gotten cheaper so the 1TB (1,000G - roughly don't be picky) drive is quite standard for a server, therefore 1,000 clients per server (hoping the OS overhead doesn't get a hit) but the transfer limit has stayed pretty static at 1,000G per server, so from that it should be 1G disk 1G transfer.

That's not happening though is it ;P

Look at hosts offering loads of disk space AND transfer, dissect the server they have (if they actually have a physical box) and I'd be concerned about the amount of items on the single point of failure list.

I'd much rather see smaller amounts offered as the larger amounts of space can also make clients 'lazy' with their sites, sites need housekeeping too, just like you have to tidy up your living space you should tidy up your web space :)

Well most CMS will require some ~25MB right off the top to install, forums 50MB (Fantastico installs). Start adding posts and 100MB could be used fairly quickly. Most personal sites likely wont sniff this, but when you get into game fansites where you will have screenshots, legal downloads and whatnot you can quickly accumulate disk space.

While 1GB may be the standard now for allocated space, most sites will not need that regardless how much they claim they do.

So we're pretty much all in agreement that anything > 1GB would just be a waste. And that just goes to prove that all these "free host" out here that are dishing out space like trick-or-treat candy are not only overselling, but haven't really done their research either. Besides, if your site is using more then 1GB of space, you really need to be paying for your hosting anyway.

So we're pretty much all in agreement that anything > 1GB would just be a waste.

I agree with that. The only sites (free or paid) that have legitimately used >1GB of space on our servers, were a couple forums with tons of attachments, and a few photographers, who had several large photo galleries with HQ photos.

So we're pretty much all in agreement that anything > 1GB would just be a waste. And that just goes to prove that all these "free host" out here that are dishing out space like trick-or-treat candy are not only overselling, but haven't really done their research either. Besides, if your site is using more then 1GB of space, you really need to be paying for your hosting anyway.

Not quite, if you have a low "priority" but sprawling site, such as maybe an RPG site, you can chain two accounts or even two hosts together. I'd pay for guaranteed up, but raw space is still fine on Free sites.

I do sorta prune my materials so I didn't upload all 1.5 Gigs, but I can see how graphic heavy pages could get there fast. You host the "easy service" pages on one account/site and the "2nd level details" on the second.

There's also a key use case of hobby sound files.

Last edited:
Personally, Ive never used over 300mb of space for any of my websites. So, if you offer at least a package of 500mb, then youll be fine and your clients will be happy.

This is good even for a Small wordpress site of any offline business. I believe this limit is pretty good, as for the starter hosting plan.

I currently offer 100MB Webspace to customers and am thinking of reviewing this limit, therefore I was wondering how much space some of you would use for a typical website.

Hi,

We offer 500MB, but to be honest VERY few users use over 100MB, so I think you're fine. It's definitely less than 5%

Maybe we should reduce ours lol.

HTH,

Nick.

Hi,

We offer 500MB, but to be honest VERY few users use over 100MB, so I think you're fine. It's definitely less than 5%

Maybe we should reduce ours lol.
I think there is a psychological thing about having access to 500MB that would be more competitive than having access to 100MB. New people don't have a grasp of how much Website space 100MB is. So they may rather use the services of someone who can offer 500MB or 1GB.
:)

A basic site/forum generally won't go over 500mb. More complicated sites can go higher, but I've never had a site go over 800mb, and I've had some fairly involved sites.

Back