• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

How much space does a typical website use?

I've had some sites that people have uploaded that are 60 GB plus, but they were basically using it for file storage for some racing game. It was full of renders and track data or something. I've also had some pretty small sites that slowly got out of hand because they had email accounts that nobody checked anymore and they were accumulating spam.

Usually 100 MB is enough but now a days standard space which is used is 1 GB but its my suggestion if you are serious than go for paid hosting not for free hosting.

I've used 553MB on my 2 sites (small gaming forum and homepage with my projects and project files). The files that take up the most space are user attachments, and game maps.

I think there is a psychological thing about having access to 500MB that would be more competitive than having access to 100MB. New people don't have a grasp of how much Website space 100MB is. So they may rather use the services of someone who can offer 500MB or 1GB.
:)

I agree as people will try to get the best available space as its FREE. It's a human nature to get as much as you can. So I would suggest 1 GB will be good if you need good traffic!

250MB is more than enough for a typical website.
I never see any personal websites use more than 250MB, unless the user is hosting a lot of files for download.

For a forum I would say 2.5gb is enough space you can make 50k to 100k post easy easy if your running a chat forum & hardly any videos or pics are posted. When the forum gets close to full space threads older than 6 months without posting get deleted so you will never run out of space

This depends on who you are marketing to. Some may only use around 20mb while others would use gb's of space "like me".

Back