• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

How private is messaging and e-mail?

conkermaniac

VIP
NLC
According to the privacy policy of most companies, they don't read your e-mails nor your instant messages. So I wondered, if someone was writing e-mails that threatened the security of the United States (i.e. bomb threats), how would the government track them down? What about a private organization: can it scan the contents of e-mails exchanged between two individuals? Obviously the threat here is not one of national security but perhaps breaches of terms of service. Can such trivial (potential) offenses justify the invasion of privacy?

i believe all emails have invisible headers, that hold information like the senders IP address, and the server it has come from. There are probably ways to get around it or to send fake info, but that's one way email's can be traced.

i hardly call them invisible though.. i think.. you should be able to see them :confused4

Yes, in fact my web-based email has an option to view the headers. Of course, like what phucked said, there's probably ways to tamper with them

by invisible i meant they're not visible by default. Many web-based and POP3 email programs let you show headers, but then again lots dont.

Phyxisus said:
No, Microsoft Log all convos externally
what? so Bill Gates can get off by reading all the horny teens cybering over the net? :shocked2:

[shouldnt have offended anyone, but sorry in advance if it did ;)]

phuckedup said:
what? so Bill Gates can get off by reading all the horny teens cybering over the net? :shocked2:

[shouldnt have offended anyone, but sorry in advance if it did ;)]
I think you should apologize to everyone for posting such a stupid comment.

If they actually get to read them, I wonder how they're gonna react when users say 'M$ suck, MSN suck' or something along those lines.

trenzterra said:
If they actually get to read them, I wonder how they're gonna react when users say 'M$ suck, MSN suck' or something along those lines.

I think they won't care since those users are using their software, and in a way are making fun of themselves for using something that sucks.

conkermaniac said:
But can an external third party procure the contents of your e-mail? That was the second part to my question.

Yes. Email is sent clear-text over the network by default. You can use something like PGP to encrypt emails, which provides end-to-end protection. If you don't use encryption your ISP or anyone with access to your line could potentially see all the traffic going to/from your IP. Email is not a secure medium.

Same goes for IM conversations. Unless you are using encryption (which is possible for AIM if both parties are using a certificate), it is clear-text over the network.

[edit: I think I misunderstood. The laws are dependant on what country you live in. Unless required by law, ISPs in the U.S. will generally not reveal information about you. ]

Last edited:
Actually, atlas, you hit at what I wanted to know. You mean to say that if your e-mails weren't encrypted, I could potentially intercept your e-mails? Do you know if most web e-mail clients offer the necessary encryption? This seems like a rather troubling issue.

conkermaniac said:
Actually, atlas, you hit at what I wanted to know. You mean to say that if your e-mails weren't encrypted, I could potentially intercept your e-mails? Do you know if most web e-mail clients offer the necessary encryption? This seems like a rather troubling issue.

Many web-based email services have https access (secure access) to your email box, but your mail is still sent clear-text across the network when it is sent or received -- that's just the way email works.

You generally have to get a plug-in for your email client to send encrypted mail -- and the receiver will also need to have similar capability on their side.

so...uh...conker...are you planning to...you know...compromise the safety of the nation and you don't want the government finding out?

Haha, Blank, but no.

People are always talking about how they were talking about AP exam questions to their friends on messenger or through e-mail, and then Collegeboard revoked their score. I was wondering how they did this.

So not quite as big as compromising national security. ;)

Back