• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

How to identifly resellers??

iwod

People tend to think that reseller pacakage for webhost are no good. Then How do we identifly if they are reseller or not??

And on the subject does sany body know any good host that is resonably cheap.... ( I am willing to pay about £30 a year )

1. You could ask. Any honest host ( reseller or not ) is going to tell you the truth. If not, its not worth sticking around.

2. Run a traceroute on the hosts domain name. See where that leads. Check it out with ARIN.net see where that goes. Its not impossible to fine our if a host is a reaseller, but it can be difficult at times.

3. If worst comes to worst and you have tried the above. Give me a shout.

To find somebody a reseller or not is not an easy job. You need to do traceroutes, dns digging, IP checking etc. IP checks are not always conclusive - Most of the small & mid-scale hosting companies do not have their own IP blocks.

It's absolutely clear to me that resellers offer better services than the "real" hosts. As they usually have a smaller customer base they can offer much better support. And if they have partnered with a good "real host" you'll have no problems at all. You should also know that many of the known web hosting companies started as resellers. So for me has no importance if one is a reseller or not (and even if he doesn't want to say clearly that he's a reseller). The most important thing is the service offered. So just check if there is a money back guarantee and try a web hosting company (reseller or not) then if you don't like them just leave. Another point is that there isn't really much difference from hundreds of "real" web hosting companies that own a rackshack server and a reseller....I could say that resellers are much better(I'm talking about those who care about their business)....because usually go with great hosts, with much better servers than rackshack's 99$.

Excellently said Mika!! Reseller support can be quick and attentative as they have less clients. Couple of minor (and negative) points, though.....

Alot of resellers just start up a biz just to make a bit a extra cash and can only offer support when they are not at their "real" job. And some lack real technical expertise but that is not such a problem if their parent host's support is knowledgeable aand fast.

I'm proud of the excellent service provide by our resellers.

So they ask their host to do it for them. That's why fast support on the parent host's side is vital. :)

Reseller and private label can offer outstanding support because they have a smaller base. But many resellers are doing it only as a second job or are students doing reselling in their off-time.

I know many people that resell and believe me many of them are whole teams and they do it more than seriously(with more than 10-15 accounts in different companies) and with someone always on standby for support.

I agree with you Archbob and NexDog, but anyway I wasn't talking about that kind of resellers...but let me think...yes...I know some "real" hosting companies that the CEO and staff are students...some of them are less than students :D

Originally posted by MN-Robert
But resellers can't handle server issues.

Why do you believe that "real" hosts can handle server issues? Host that aren't max 30-40 Km away from the datacenter can't say that can handle server issues. Because server isssues aren't just a reboot or some upgrade and patches. Server issues are everything that has to do with the server. So I would suggest many hosts not to say it loud that they can handle server issues because in reality they can handle only part of the server issues! They'll wait for the datacenter's technicians just like resellers will wait for a "hosts" answer. But everything I believe is a matter of choice. If you know to pick the correct people , rarely you'll have some problems!

Last edited:
Originally posted by Archbob
If a host is on rackshack servers, then they will have major trouble with servers.

That's simply not true mate. We've got a number of boxes there, and they are rock solid. One hardware issue months ago, which was resolved quickly. One box has 113 days uptime. We have our own admin who takes good care of them though.

Cheers

Gary

We run our cheap service from rackshack ensim boxes and its very reliable.

The people who have had serious problems are those who have tried to add fetaures and functions to the servers which affects the operation of ensim.
If you leave the boxes as supplied they just run and run.

Gordon

Back