• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

I would like some feed back on my site, Please.

SearchAt!

I would like some constructive criticism on http://metasearchat.com Don't be afraid to be harsh as long as it is constructive. To explain what the site is: It is a meta search engine with it's own directory. The directory contains my affiliate links and sites that link back to my site. The meta search engine has various categories to choose from.

Thanks in advanced for your input.:classic2:

The site load fairly fast which is always a plus, but lo_ok rather plain and ordinary, also disorganized. I don't know where to lo_ok at and where not to, my eyes jump in all direction. I think it would help if you arrange the ads in one place, and the important in another. That and somehow color code the categories, to make it stand out so the visitor will know where to search for what they wanted.

Very amature looking. Very tough on the eyes. The one point I will make that will make this site look 100 times better instantly is to lose the background. Once you have done that, it may be easier to give a more constructive review..the way it stands now though is that it is just too much effort for my eyes.

Simon

I don't mind the background...it's just the ads are scattered everywhere in an unorganized fashion. That's a characteristic of most unprofessional sites trying to make money. The best sites at making money often have few ads placed in just the right spot with the right content. :)

Originally posted by Mikki00
The site load fairly fast which is always a plus, but lo_ok rather plain and ordinary, also disorganized. I don't know where to lo_ok at and where not to, my eyes jump in all direction. I think it would help if you arrange the ads in one place, and the important in another. That and somehow color code the categories, to make it stand out so the visitor will know where to search for what they wanted.

Thanks for your comments, Do you think it would help if I got rid of the other search tools and in the layout in general instead of 2 separate columns, have 1 column with multiple rows so that way your eyes don't jump all over the page. Also would it be easier on your eyes if I lost the background?

Originally posted by SimonMc
Very amature looking. Very tough on the eyes. The one point I will make that will make this site look 100 times better instantly is to lose the background. Once you have done that, it may be easier to give a more constructive review..the way it stands now though is that it is just too much effort for my eyes.

Simon

I thought the background made it easier on the eyes. Thanks for your comments. I will seriously consider losing the background.

Originally posted by conkermaniac
I don't mind the background...it's just the ads are scattered everywhere in an unorganized fashion. That's a characteristic of most unprofessional sites trying to make money. The best sites at making money often have few ads placed in just the right spot with the right content. :)

Which ads are you talking about? I have ads under our sponsers and 1 ad at the bottom. Placing those together I can always do. Do you thaink having the other search tools is a little much, I can always lose those. Also the background, I am considering losing it too. I always thought the background made it easier to read. If you or anyone else has any comments please let me know. I should start make changes to the site within a week.
Thanks for you comments.

It's the background. It's all the background. Lose that and maybe then I will be able to read the page without getting a headache.

I don't mind the background, although it might give it a sleeker look to have a solid color background. However, it is hard to tell what to look at first. If there is one part of the page that you want visitors to focus on first, such as the directory, make that larger so that it takes up most of the screen space.

Have you looked at other metasearch sites to see what layouts do and don't work for them? That may help you get some ideas to improve.

Originally posted by Damoose
argh, i hate the bg, and the way the ads are organized but the speed is great.
\

Background is gone, and the ads are at the bottom of the page. Please let me know what you think of how it is layed out now.

Originally posted by byrdgirl13
It's the background. It's all the background. Lose that and maybe then I will be able to read the page without getting a headache.

Ok background is gone, so no more headaches. Let me know what you think of the new layout.

Originally posted by almuhajabah
I don't mind the background, although it might give it a sleeker look to have a solid color background. However, it is hard to tell what to look at first. If there is one part of the page that you want visitors to focus on first, such as the directory, make that larger so that it takes up most of the screen space.

Have you looked at other metasearch sites to see what layouts do and don't work for them? That may help you get some ideas to improve.

Yes I have looked at other meta search sites, and I decided to go simple. I took your suggestion and made the directory the biggest part of the page with the sponsers at the bottom of the page. Please let me know if you have any other good ideas.

Re: vechiles

Originally posted by Cockmonkey
It took me a second to figure out what "vechiles" meant. ;)

Yeah, you'll probably want to change the spelling on that to "vehicles".

I think it looks much better now. My next suggestion is that the left column in the directory seems to be much longer than the other two columns. Maybe you can move the links that are now in the third column into the second column.

BTW, to guitarnerd, sometimes simple is better. If your site has great content, people will keep coming back, whether or not you use any fancy tricks. As long as the site is easy to read and navigate, I doubt the visitors will mind. They may even like it.

Originally posted by guitarnerd
Too stinking simple. Where is the banner? Needs lots of work

Would you like to eloborate on your comments so I can try to make my site more appealing. What banner are you talking about? I am willing to consider your comments, if you are willing to eloborate on them.

Re: vechiles

Originally posted by Cockmonkey
It took me a second to figure out what "vechiles" meant. ;)

You know I never realized I mispelled that word until now. I am usually a pretty good speller.

Re: Re: vechiles

Originally posted by almuhajabah

Yeah, you'll probably want to change the spelling on that to "vehicles".

I think it looks much better now. My next suggestion is that the left column in the directory seems to be much longer than the other two columns. Maybe you can move the links that are now in the third column into the second column.

BTW, to guitarnerd, sometimes simple is better. If your site has great content, people will keep coming back, whether or not you use any fancy tricks. As long as the site is easy to read and navigate, I doubt the visitors will mind. They may even like it.

Thanks for your comments about my site. If you have any further suggestions I would appreciate it. About the columns, the program is set to go across the go down to the next row. Do you think the columns should be three or 2, or put 1 space btween each row?

Back