• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

iFrames?

anhedonia

I'm on a boat
NLC
What's support like for iFrames nowadays?

Or, from another angle, what are you guys using instead? :)

edit: According to a site I just saw, this is a list of iFrame support in browsers:

IE: IE appears to support the iframe since version 4 (Mac since version 3)

Netscape: version 6 and later

Opera: the 4.02 beta is said to support iframes (Mac and Unix since version 5; BeOS since version 3.62)

Mozilla: since version 1

Bezilla: since version 1

Galleon: since version 1.2

WarpZilla: since version 1

Lynx: support since 2.8.2

Nobody uses iFrames nowadays because they're messy and unwieldy. I first learnt them in school nearly seven years ago.

Nowadays, everyone makes use of CSS and XHTML to design their websites. CSS and XHTML are much more versatile than iFrames in my own humble opinion.

Support for iFrames should be embedded in most browsers, but I wouldn't recommend that anyone use it unless necessary, considering that it is almost obsolete already.

It is a matter of preference versus conventions. ;)

Interesting, the things I've been reading suggest that because support is so wide for them now, they're quite viable to have at your disposal!

Why do you think they're messy/unwieldy?

Interesting, the things I've been reading suggest that because support is so wide for them now, they're quite viable to have at your disposal!

Why do you think they're messy/unwieldy?
Actually, I take that back. They are not messy or unwieldy per se, and like I've mentioned, it's more of a matter of preference versus conventions. It really depends on what you want to achieve.

I'd tend to think that iFrames can perform amazingly well for static sites, but may pose issues when it comes to dynamic solutions due to the implementation of the interface and such. I'm not exactly in a position to comment on this, so I shall leave it to someone who has greater experience.

Personally, I combine the power of DIVs and CSS with PHP to generate my pages.

Oh don't worry, I more than welcome discussion about them! :)

I was always rather fond of them years ago, back when they let you accomplish things (tricky little layouts) that weren't possible otherwise back then (or perhaps it was a lack of expertise on my part?)

At any rate, I was thinking about them today and how useful they'd be in a layout I've been working on, which led to wondering about their general reception/viability today :).

It's more of a use updated methods, but if you prefer using iFrames there isn't much wrong with that. Search Engines have made it possible for iframes to be indexed so SEO isn't a issue with them anymore.

Oh don't worry, I more than welcome discussion about them! :)

I was always rather fond of them years ago, back when they let you accomplish things (tricky little layouts) that weren't possible otherwise back then (or perhaps it was a lack of expertise on my part?)

At any rate, I was thinking about them today and how useful they'd be in a layout I've been working on, which led to wondering about their general reception/viability today :).
I doubt anyone would be against iFrames if they are lain out properly, and that's the job of the designer. There's a lot to be accomplished with them, considering that they are basically instances of pages on a single page (the irony). It really depends on what you're trying to do, I'd say. The evolution of CSS/XHTML has somewhat lowered the popularity of iFrames, but they can be equally useful in certain cases.

I actually like this analogy that someone made on another board; he compared iFrames to the "goto" statements in modern programming languages. They can achieve desired effects but be detrimental in the long run. I don't think iFrames can exactly be detrimental, though, although I wouldn't recommend them for dynamic content. That's personal preference, though.

All in all, it probably wouldn't matter much to your visitors whether you made use of iFrames or not. :D

Ah, Kwek, I think we may have found the same website ;).

I have a layout that's been created from a PSD, but there's just a small section of the image that has a blank background and I want to fit a little bit of info in there. I was thinking an iFrame would be a fairly simple way to accomplish this, but I'm still considering options :p.

Ah, Kwek, I think we may have found the same website ;).

I have a layout that's been created from a PSD, but there's just a small section of the image that has a blank background and I want to fit a little bit of info in there. I was thinking an iFrame would be a fairly simple way to accomplish this, but I'm still considering options :p.
If you're going to be coding the layout in CSS/XHTML, you might as well do the same for that small area too. Consistency is good. Then again, an iFrame would probably work without much hassle, though. Once again, it boils down to personal preference. :p

We probably found the same website. Analogies like that don't come every other day. ;)

Provided it doesn't scream unprofessional, I might go for an iFrame and see how it looks/functions. It's just a fairly ideal solution for the look I have in mind, so... We'll see how it goes, and I'll post if I find anything remarkable :).

Thanks for your replies guys :).

Don't confuse iFrames with frames. Two totally different things. iFrames are good for imbedding content, etc. They're not meant for site layout. Most major browsers support iFrames, so use then when you want to include a portion of another website on your page.

A frame that is not reconstructed from another frame..i frame is also reference frame, it serve as a reference to construct other frames..

there is a time, place, and purpose for everything. in certain instances, an iframe is exactly what you would want and need, and most other times, it isnt. i much prefer to use divs as much as possible, but, like i said, there is a place for an iframe, and i have used them a few times when needed.

I still use iframes when I'm too lazy to recode some of my sites. I know it's messy and not search engine friendly, but they're still very useful.

I tend to use a DIV with AJAX if I need to load an external source, otherwise DIV with PHP generating what is in it.

Back