• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Is free Hosting Safe! ?

hostaddonltd

Is free hosting safe, i have a number of website like forums and stuff i have hosted on free servers, what to stop the host from taking the database and selling it, any one know any safe hosts.

Nothing is to stop them from doing it. What's to stop a paid host from doing the exact same thing?

Privacy statement and TOS, unless it's stated they won't they could...

Well either way, I'm talking about an unscrupulous provider. No big hosting company is going to do it. Even if it's stated in their Privacy Policy, that certainly doesn't stop them from doing it. I've seen hosts sell all sorts of personal information. Heck, I have clauses in my Privacy Policy too, but there is the biggest clause of them all (no, not Santa Clause :p), stating that any legal action needs to take place in our state. How many people are going to come here to file small claims suit?

That's how a lot of companies get away with ignoring their policies. They know that nobody is going to go through the trouble of legal action. That's why (unfortunately) chargebacks are king in this industry.

I've heard a lot of horror stories about Free Hosting. (I however have never experienced them) If you can avoid free hosting, then by all means avoid them.

What is in the database worth selling? Storing CC# in the database. Surly this is not stored in MySQL. On a free host. Loss of data due to hackers, failed hardware.

Is free hosting safe, i have a number of website like forums and stuff i have hosted on free servers, what to stop the host from taking the database and selling it, any one know any safe hosts.
I'd think it unlikely that a host, whether free or paid would think of taking a database and selling it. If you want top security however, you probably should have a set-up where you are more in control of the security of your databases, perhaps through a Virtual private server (VPS). And that will probably come with a price as well.

wow...can i know what the package they provide free?
Forum usually required u to VPS.
But most of free hosting i know is only share hosting.

Better you start with other paid hosting company , atleast they have a policy which they do not steal your database and you have the right to protect it from them .

wow...can i know what the package they provide free?
Forum usually required u to VPS.
But most of free hosting i know is only share hosting.

Better you start with other paid hosting company , atleast they have a policy which they do not steal your database and you have the right to protect it from them .

For this, I have to disagree with u.
Do you know that free host do have privacy and other policy to assure that they do not steal any of the data's in the accounts?

About free hosting, actually most of them offering reseller hosting & shared hosting. Not just only shared hosting.
At least, most of these free host are like this at there and most of the web hosting forums, except for the web hosting forum in Malaysia which is run and controlled by Exabytes!

No matter the provider you are using is paid or free, they can steal client's data if they are in need of it.

However as a policy they don't. And as a web hosting provider if they are doing such nasty stuff, they are not going to last long. Provider's existence depends on client's trust and the provider needs to protect it.

I would personally recommend not using a free hosting provider. I do not understand how a FREE host can stay in business considering the costs associated with having a server and license fees of things like cPanel what ever they choose to use to manage their web hosting services.

You can find many web hosting packages priced at cheap prices these days. Plus you can never be sure that a free host will actually be there from day to day or keep backups of their clients files in case of a disaster.

I would personally recommend not using a free hosting provider. I do not understand how a FREE host can stay in business considering the costs associated with having a server and license fees of things like cPanel what ever they choose to use to manage their web hosting services.

You can find many web hosting packages priced at cheap prices these days. Plus you can never be sure that a free host will actually be there from day to day or keep backups of their clients files in case of a disaster.

But that applies as much if not moreso to a paid provider too, especially with so many people out there who fail to pay reliably with potentially bank-breaking effects when that happens.

The secret to a sustainable free host is traffic volume and traffic composition. Free hosting clients that generate a lot of hits relative to the amount of bandwidth consumed can actually produce 2-3x in ad revenue what would be made selling the same amount of bandwidth directly.

So although the hosting client sees a free hosting service, that free hosting does indeed make money for the provider unless the free host is careless and doesn't factor in revenue generation and abuse control when developing their marketting strategy.

Besides, I've seen a lot of paid hosts up and disappear without a trace too, while many free hosts do indeed keep backups and are there reliably. The only real disadvantages to free hosting over paid hosting are that free hosting either inserts ads on your site or requires you to post on the host's site to keep your service, and that free hosting plans are traditionally smaller in size than their paid counterparts.

And as far as security goes, I think that as long as the host is doing a good job of managing their servers to keep the abusive clients in check, free hosting can be just as secure and reliable as paid hosting is. In fact many hosts put both client types on the same servers, which means the only difference is how the host earns money from the services provided.

Last edited:
Best thing to do when it comes to any hosting company is read their ToS and their Privacy, and if they have none, move away and dont bother.. Then you will have to decide for yourself if you can place temporary trust into the site your interested in, until they earn your trust. Its a game of rolling the dice, alot of trustworthy sites but alot more untrustworthy sites. tread with caution, but also keep a open mind.

Several free web hosts a safe can't see what the point would be in taking someones database user details etc unless the web host doesn't want any customers and destroy their company word gets around pretty quick when it comes to bad web hosting companies.

If you wish to run your business without any problems I would recommend not to go for free webhosting.
If you enhance your searching, you will find many hosts that are offering their webhosting packages with cheaper rate.

That still does not remove the credit card requirement (most won't take WU unless there's a payments of 12 months or more, locking you to one hsot)

That still does not remove the credit card requirement (most won't take WU unless there's a payments of 12 months or more, locking you to one hsot)

Credit card, PayPal, cash, check, Western Union...There are tons of options to pay for hosting. I'm so sick of people saying they can't pay because they don't have a credit card.

Back