• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Is it legal to...

mshiva

Sorry if I sound stupid...

As all of us know that Microsoft ended support for all their operating systems till Windows XP SP1, I have a grave doubt.

Does this mean we can freely distribute copies of Windows 95 or 98 to our friends?

Though not many would take these even if one gives them for free!

Illegal, but if you're just lending Windows 95 or Windows 98 to a few friend, it's highly unlikely the corporation will be able to find out. Why would anyone in their right mind want Windows 95

Last edited:
I believe the copyright law in the US extends for 60 years after the originator of the copyright dies. So you'd have to wait 60 years after Microsoft Corporation was shut down before you were able to completely legally distribute Windows 95 and Windows 98. There's always the concept of abandonware however...

Lol, since Microsoft just steals things and calls it their own, I doubt they'll go out of business as they patent it first.

Thanks for your replies.

And yes, nobody would want to have Win95 as their primary OS.
But, it is fun to see how things were at that time, though.

Thanks again...

Back