• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

It's becoming very sad..

LeX

ლ(╹◡╹ლ)
NLC
I'm talking about the free webspace section...

I remember the time I was still active in that forum. There were quite a lot less "I need this desperately" threads, and more topics related to hosts and their services and such. There used to be discussions about free hosts, new ones, ones that have gone, and in general, more constructive posts than sarcastic and snappy remarks.

Now all I am seeing there are requests, some truly outrageous considering what they're asking for. The rest are pathetic threads begging paid hosts to host them for free.

Now I've only got more reason not to visit that place.

Originally posted by LeX
I'm talking about the free webspace section...

I remember the time I was still active in that forum. There were quite a lot less "I need this desperately" threads, and more topics related to hosts and their services and such. There used to be discussions about free hosts, new ones, ones that have gone, and in general, more constructive posts than sarcastic and snappy remarks.

Now all I am seeing there are requests, some truly outrageous considering what they're asking for. The rest are pathetic threads begging paid hosts to host them for free.

Now I've only got more reason not to visit that place.

Not only is it happening in the Free Web Space Section, but on WHT, people want like 1GB of space, 75 GB of bandwidth for $1.95/mo. and what's even worse is that people are actually OFFERING it to them.

It is very sad indeed - but while there are people who pander to these requests, the greed will get worse unfortunately. There seem to be very few who just want a simple 5MB space and 1GB bandwidth. Either they have no conception of how much space they really need or they think their site will become so popular that millions a day will visit it. :confused2

Yes, when I was a free hostee, my sites were rarely larger than 5 MB, and I doubt any used 1 GB of bandwidth a month. A couple of my sites had decent traffic too. (I consider 100+ visitors a day decent).

I can hardly believe that someone who can not pay for webhosting can develop a website that becomes overly popular.

I remember looking for hosts without ads...back then, they existed, and were damn good for free. But then when an ad free host became hard to find, I settled...after all, it's just a personal site...not like a blink 182 fan site needs to look professional.

Then, I decided to get some paid hosting. Still to play around with. But it's just easier than switching hosts every 2 weeks, and good to have a domain.

I rarely visit the free hosting section...well, never. I sorta decided there aren't any sites that are worth hosting for free anyways...even though I am currently using about 1/4 of the bandwidth I am paying for...and that's all from sites I am hosting. Actually, the sites I run use about 0.3% of my available bandwidth. I'm just rambling now though...waiting for oven to ring...need food.

Last edited:
It's mainly the PHP and MySQL requests that bother me. 90% of the people over in the FWS forum seem to want that. :confused2

Originally posted by conkermaniac
It's mainly the PHP and MySQL requests that bother me. 90% of the people over in the FWS forum seem to want that. :confused2

What bugs me is hosts that charge for MySQL Databases.. MySQL is free and I think at least 1 database should be free to the customer. This is referring to paid accounts.

It's probably just because of support. People will submit a lot of tickets about mysql...one would think. So, if you don't need it, you aren't going to be needing support for it, so you should pay less. Makes sense.

But yes, it bothers me that the only reason people will want php and mysql is to make a forum. It's not like they are going to get popular...hell, I have a domain name for my forum and it still gets no one...

Originally posted by conkermaniac

have to agree, most people only use it for a forum, and they dont use the PHP for anything else.

Re: Re: It's becoming very sad..

Originally posted by Robert
Not only is it happening in the Free Web Space Section, but on WHT, people want like 1GB of space, 75 GB of bandwidth for $1.95/mo. and what's even worse is that people are actually OFFERING it to them.
Reminds me of Cyberwings (was it them? :D) Well, I hardly even venture into the FWS forum anymore...

Back