• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Learning to drive

The UK practical exams supposedly tougher than the US ones. In the US, it's basically "Can you get from point A to point B without dying?"

I'm not sure about the difference in the written exams, but I've always been an information sponge and good at testing, so it was a breeze for me.

The driving portion in London wasn't bad at all. Really kinda easy, a little harder than the ones here in the US though.

The UK practical exams supposedly tougher than the US ones. In the US, it's basically "Can you get from point A to point B without dying?"

I'm not sure about the difference in the written exams, but I've always been an information sponge and good at testing, so it was a breeze for me.

Dude, I forgot to use my blinker when entering & exiting from a parallel park when I was 16 and they took off 15 ----ING POINTS. I got a god damn 85 for that.

My favorite part was "floor it until I say stop, then slam the brakes"

I guess thats what I get for being a white kid with a ghetto ----- for a test ... lady ... monster.

Last edited:
I remember when I was tested the first time in South Africa, I was really worried about parallel parking, so practised like crazy. I could not afford driving lessons, basically taught myself to drive. Did that illegally of course in an old and battered VW. But the anti-climax was when the traffic cop who tested me did not even ask me to do parallel parking. I got the feeling he thought I was a good driver .... I sometimes wonder whether it all has to do with the appearance of self-confidence. Anyway, I was lucky and got passed the first time. My second test was in Canada when I had to do the whole thing over again when I emigrated. It was a little tricky as I had to change from driving on the left side to the right side. Exactly the same thing happened. It was basically just a perfunctory test. Couldn't have been longer than 10 minutes or maybe a little longer. He did not ask me to do parallel parking! When I moved to the UAE I was lucky as one can transfer your driver's license to UAE without a test. I only needed to do an eye test. Don't know whether I will have to do the test again when I get back to Canada. Hopefully I'll be able to transfer the whole thing back. Otherwise I will have to be tested again.
:)

I remember when I was tested the first time in South Africa, I was really worried about parallel parking, so practised like crazy. I could not afford driving lessons, basically taught myself to drive. Did that illegally of course in an old and battered VW. But the anti-climax was when the traffic cop who tested me did not even ask me to do parallel parking. I got the feeling he thought I was a good driver .... I sometimes wonder whether it all has to do with the appearance of self-confidence. Anyway, I was lucky and got passed the first time. My second test was in Canada when I had to do the whole thing over again when I emigrated. It was a little tricky as I had to change from driving on the left side to the right side. Exactly the same thing happened. It was basically just a perfunctory test. Couldn't have been longer than 10 minutes or maybe a little longer. He did not ask me to do parallel parking! When I moved to the UAE I was lucky as one can transfer your driver's license to UAE without a test. I only needed to do an eye test. Don't know whether I will have to do the test again when I get back to Canada. Hopefully I'll be able to transfer the whole thing back. Otherwise I will have to be tested again.
:)

So my only question is: can you parallel park?

The whole reason they drive on the left is so that back in the old days they could attack the people they're passing with their right hand.

The whole reason they drive on the left is so that back in the old days they could attack the people they're passing with their right hand.

Shut up you, bugger, bang goes the mystery of driving on the left!!!

Actually it's easy if you think about it.

1. Don't be a t*t
2. Remember that car your driving will happily crush someone - you don't want to do that on your test.
3. Speed does kill! Usually someone else, but that doesn't make it okay for you to speed.

That's the basics for before you get into one.

4. Those pedals at your feet! 1 is to go 1 is to stop (1 is to stop you knacking a gearbox if it's not an automatic)
5. Those pedals again, the only time to press them really hard is if someone's coming towards you really fast (from the front pedal on the left, from behind pedal to the right - for UK)
6. During your test an Emergency stop does not involve concussion for the examiner (I didn't lose points but he wasn't pleased)

Manoeuvres - avoid them if at all possible!

7. If there is a section of road on your test route, pretend to mishear the examiner and carry on past the turn, they won't make you go back. Although you could end up in a worse place, your choice, research this.

8. NEVER accept an offer for you to pass if someone flashes lights in a street with parked cars on your side. The examiner might be okay with it but get brownie points when they ask why your not passing (if the obstruction is on your side only - that's important) then state flashing lights is only an indication of another vehicle being there, not a clear signal for you to continue (that's the legal status of it) and the other car has right of way.

If I have to go to 9. or above you've failed with good reason :D

From the sound of things, everything is different in California. I didn't have to parallel park... They don't make us do that. Nobody parallel parks anymore. We don't have to do any emergency stopping or anything of that sort. I failed to yield to oncoming traffic at a yield sign and she still passed me. lol.

Apparently we drive faster than everyone else in the country as well... I'm not sure I believe that one, but tourists are usually very angry about our speed. In my area, speeds on the freeway are like 75-80mph.

Speed limits on interstate highways range from 60 to 80 depending on what state you're in and whether you're in an urban setting or not. In California, just like Indiana, the speed limit on the freeway is generally 70 MPH. Of course people usually drive about 5 or 10 MPH over that and nobody seems to care. 80 MPH + will probably get you noticed by the po.

From the sound of things, everything is different in California. I didn't have to parallel park... They don't make us do that. Nobody parallel parks anymore. We don't have to do any emergency stopping or anything of that sort. I failed to yield to oncoming traffic at a yield sign and she still passed me. lol.

Apparently we drive faster than everyone else in the country as well... I'm not sure I believe that one, but tourists are usually very angry about our speed. In my area, speeds on the freeway are like 75-80mph.

In duh ATLz, you need to parallel park all the time when you're downtown. Highway speeds here are the same ... 70-ish for the normal lanes and 80-ish for the HOV (2+ people in a car) lane. Usually the jackass in the Lambo is going 120.

Emergency stopping is necessary. The people from the urban sprawl suburbs (as compared to what I call the "Interior" suburbs, which are basically urban but independent of Atlanta, no greenspace dividing them, yet usually still referred to as "Atlanta", like Bankhead ... College Park ... East Point ... Chamblee) drive like jackasses. They'll pull out in front of you without a care in the world, because they have a gargantuan SUV, then look at you like you're evil when you honk at them or tell them go "Go shove a cactus up your ---".

Last edited:
They'll pull out in front of you without a care in the world, because they have a gargantuan SUV, then look at you like you're evil when you honk at them or tell them go "Go shove a cactus up your ---".

I noticed the same thing when I went to Charleston SC. It's a whole different world compaired to here in northeastern Indiana. Those guys drive like ----ing maniacs. I'm going down there again next weekend. Not really looking forward to it.

I noticed the same thing when I went to Charleston SC. It's a whole different world compaired to here in northeastern Indiana. Those guys drive like ----ing maniacs. I'm going down there again next weekend. Not really looking forward to it.

I suggest: http://www.proguns.com/glock-21.asp

It's Austrian, so if they tell you you're a Commie for not using a 'Murican Gun like a 1911, then tell them you're using a ------ Nazi-Whoopass Gun.

I hit the curb on my parallel park in New York and still passed my driver's test.

Couple years later I was driving the very car I had taken my driver's test in when some kid hit me. He apparently was paying more attention to his girl than to the road and failed to yield at the end of the ramp. I almost managed to regain control of my car, but spun out and ended up head on to a concrete barrier at 65 MPH. I walked away with a scratch on the forehead from hitting the silk.

NEVER SET AIRBAGS OFF THEY TASTE HORRIBLE. And it takes weeks for the smell to go away.

Driving tests are NOT that hard...the hardest part when owning a vehicle, is figuring out who to go with for car insurance. Some will screw you till you get pissed off and leave, and others will treat you VIP 24 7

Insuranace companies act like you're their best friend as long as you're sending money to them every month, that is until you actually need them to pay for something, then they'll find every excuse they can to shift the blame somewhere else and not pay a penny.

Last edited:
Back