• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

List of cheap domain registrars

Well, they're guilty of advertising a price that excludes the ICANN fee. Here is their info...

MyDomain.com
MyDomain advertises a price that doesn't include all the registration fees.
$8.95
Not ICANN accredited.
Visa, Mastercard, AMEX or Paypal.
Email Forwarding.
URL Forwarding.
AUTH Code available anyutime (through email).

It's rather risky to buy a domain from a not ICANN-accredited registrar.

Well, it can be risky buying from some ICANN-accredited registrars too. At any rate, my goal is to list good value and competitive registrars, however I'm by no means perfect in my discriminations, and if you think that ICANN-accreditation should be mandatory for listing, then by all means use a poll or something and we can democratically determine if they should be removed!

I'll send a PM to a Mod, but when you get here could you please move RegisterFly in the first post to below godaddy (ie the section for "registrars we're not going to include in the final list"), and the following three should be amended to my list of registrars (please try to retain the alphabetical listing - since when a list becomes long it can be hard to find what you're looking for without any order).

Dynadot
$8.99.
ICANN accredited.
Visa, Mastercard, AMEX, Discover, JCB, Moneybookers, Cheque, M/O or Paypal.
Ad-revenue parking (shared between you and Dynadot).
Free grace-period deletion (ie full credit returned to register another name with).
Email Forwarding.
URL Forwarding.
AUTH Code available anytime.

MyDomain.com
MyDomain advertises a price that doesn't include all the registration fees.
$8.95.
Not ICANN accredited.
Email Forwarding.
URL Forwarding.
AUTH Code available anytime (delivered through email).

Red Register
$8.74.
Not ICANN accredited.
Visa, Mastercard.... others?
Private Whois.
AUTH Code available anytime.
no info on url or email forwarding.

I'm not going to list domainsystems.com or moniker.com, because domainsystems advertises an inaccurate price (click here and add a domain to see what $9.95 suddenly becomes!), and they both charge more then $10, and it does not include free url & email forwarding - url forwarding costs $6/yr and so does email forwarding, bringing the total cost of a domain to $22.65/yr if you're using email and url forwarding!

Last edited:
I've updated the first post now. I don't think ICANN accreditation should be required to get listed.

Thanks, and just so you know I did have a quick look at IPower, but I was unable to locate a list of included features, this doesn't mean they're not included - but it means we don't know. Email is $14.95/yr, anyway I've sent them an email and if they return the information we require then we can include them!

NOTE: This isn't urgent so I won't post a PM regarding it, but before I forget - in the first post I put 1&1's price as $5.99 - and believe it or not, between then and now they increased their price to $6.99, so if a Mod is reading this it'd be good if you could correct this. If there are any other errors LMK (or if you have a suggestion for a better format for the list, that'd also be good).

I'm also thinking we should include in bold (but not red) a note if registrar's advertise a first-year price that is lower then the renewal price. But then it seems only name.com comes under this one, so maybe it's not worth doing if they're the only one. -edit- hmm, now that I think about it, that would be silly since we're listing the ongoing price, and any of the above registrars may have a promotion going when someone visits them.

It may also be worth noting that although dns is manditory for the list, freedns is redily available. Here's a site we could link to: http://freedns.com/

Last edited:
Note to mods: I'm unable to edit my own posts after a certain time-period, this seems to be a standard feature of the forum. I would like to be able to edit my first post in this thread, so if there's any way you can allow me to do so it would be much appreciated!

Hi Colin, the price I listed for name.com is correct, you can see their accurate pricing here (looks like you copied my domainsite listing not realizing I've listed name.com ;)), although please note they do not offer the "basic registration" service offered on DomainSite. Although the above page is not linked anywhere on their site, I can confirm the 1, 2, 5 and 10 year prices are accurate.

DomainSite offers the same service at the same price, with the exception they don't 1. give a first-year discount, or 2. include free private whois (they charge $.50).

Colin, if you're a DomainSite customer, could you please log into your account, click on one of your domains and tell me if the AUTH codes for your domains are listed? This is what it looks like for me in Name.com (obviously I've obscured the code for security): click here.

Yeah I believe you, Peo said (something like) this too ^^.

I should note that I didn't go with 1&1 in 2004 because I didn't believe their domain prices were sustainable, however it seems I've been proven wrong. They have just raised their price for the first time to $6.99 (it was $5.99/yr when I posted this topic). They've used it as a loss-leader, obviously targeting the budget-consumer by offering them further services at budget prices. What is revealing though is that it has been the other domain registrars who've significantly raised their prices in this time (GoDaddy for example).

I didn't list aplus.net because their pricing seems very sporatic: .com $8.40, .net $7.95, .org $7.95, .info $9.95, .biz $15.90 - as you can see even domains which should be the same price are priced differently!

So I tend to think that name.com/domainsite.com and 1and1.com are the best value at this point; even though we haven't heard from any 1&1 customers here it does seem their system is a fair deal.

name.com is definetely different pricing from domainsite right now
http://name.com/include/images/ga/ad_140x140.gif

And yeah, domainsite shows AUTH code :)

Peo, you have a PM!

Namecheap became ICANN accredited towards the end of december 2007. Which somehow I didn't notice until today. They also increased their price for .info domains.

Thus:

namecheap
$9.29, .info is $4.88.
Not ICANN accredited.
Visa, Mastercard or Paypal.
URL Forwarding.
Email Forwarding.

(old)

namecheap
$9.29, .info is $5.88.
ICANN accredited.
Visa, Mastercard or Paypal.
URL Forwarding.
Email Forwarding.

(new)

There's also a small typo under domainsite...

"Code always displayed in CP" --> "AUTH Code always displayed in CP."

domainsite.com
$7.99, or $6.99 for "basic registration" which doesn't include full dns control, fowarding or email.
ICANN accredited.
Email Forwarding.
Email by Google.
URL Forwarding.
Webpage by Google (100MB/500pages max).
Code always displayed in CP
Sister site to name.com.

(old)

domainsite.com
$7.99, or $6.99 for "basic registration" which doesn't include full dns control, fowarding or email.
ICANN accredited.
Email Forwarding.
Email by Google.
URL Forwarding.
Webpage by Google (100MB/500pages max).
AUTH Code always displayed in CP.
Sister site to name.com.

$16.99/yr @ WSDREg, domainsite.com has .in at $13.99/yr (name.com is more expensive on that domain).

List of cheap registrars

Hello,
I was also looking for the cheapest registrar, and I recently found a nice website, called www.ofindo.com, where you can compare the offers for any existing extension! It's really helpfull and easy to use. Found already 2 new registrars for my personal use on that site!! Try it!

Having some experience with sibername(.com) (ICANN, CIRA, EURID-accredited) I really do not understand why it's still not listed here, surely, unless the quality comes after the price at this thread.

They are not expensive, and dealing with them for me, since the time I have regged domains with them, is accompanied with knowldge of having stable and professional partner.

Surely, if they are not passing certain criteria for the thread to be listed, everything's clear.

Last edited:
Name.com/Domainsite.com is up to 8.99 per year, and you have to use to code "freewhois" to get free whois privacy. However if you don't enable it on domain registration it can be added at any time using the code, for free - I would hope it remains this way in the future since whois privacy is a fairly standard free service.

Back