• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Louisiana is doomed

Having gone through Katrina when she was a Cat1/Cat2 and seeing the destruction she caused, I can only say that my prayers are with them and I hope that they are evacuating.

Some parts of Miami-Dade County are still struggling with the damage that Katrina left. In my area (West Kendall), we are pretty much back to normal. Our cable is still out and about 90% of the trees that were not palm trees have been uprooted and are still down and others are in the middle of the roads.

As a cat 1, Katrina took nearly all the branches off our palm trees, brought a tree crashing on our neighbors car, completely removed our other neighbors wooden fence and caused a tree to land on another neighbors house. Not too much damage. I have pictures, but on dial up it's slow. We were only out of power for 3 days, and thankfully we had generators.

Other parts are still without power, about 500,000, and many areas have a lot of flooding. And this is all happening in Miami-Dade County/Broward County where we're use to Hurricanes.

Dem poor old folks up in Louisiana and surrounding counties are in big trouble. I hope everything goes in their favor.

May God Speed!

I'm worried as well. I have family and friends living in Lafourche Parish on the Dufrene Ponds. Right now the destruction of their homes is almost guaranteed....marshland, waterfront, under sea level, and that close to the Gulf of Mexico (<75mi).

And about the flooding, Orleans Parish (including N.O. area) is about 15-20 feet under sea level, so the flooding there will be tremendous.

Death Reaper said:
Hold up!

You have trees that aren't palm trees in Florida?! :eek2:

Regards,

To be completely honest, I knew wehad trees that were not palm trees, but I never realized we had so many until now that they are all on the ground. The roots of a palm tree can extend very deep into the ground and spread out far, giving it a good foundation against winds. These other po' trees didn't make it.

Here is one that was knocked over.

for a cat 1, i was uh.. surprised at the damage the sucker did.. =p albeit i was still able to sleep with the windows open.. :p

but uh.. as cat one, it was pretty bad.... so i come to the conclusion: there will be only 49 states in a few days. :rolleyes:

All you can do is pray and hope for the best. I know when Isabella came through my part of North Carolina we headed for another part which was like 4 or 5 hours away. That did nothing compared to what Katrina is capable of. May God be with them all!

Regards,

I had no idea how horrible this is going to be until I opened up my TV tuner program and watched some MSNBC. This looks like the worse hurricane in decades. Newsguy said 2nd most intense ever.

God bless anyone that may be affected by this storm. Hopefully, they won't read this yet as they should be on their way out of town, if not already gone.

Wow...some nice houses there..

Pretty bad damage too..

Though one person has this unique car..it's like a mobile tree ;)

And this other guy has a tree-house ;)

Party in the one guy's yard? His' fence is open! :p

Doesn't look overall that bad from the first few pics, but there is some significant damage there..It's amazing to see how the trees just come uprooted like that..

Regards,

Robert said:
My cable came back. I was able to upload some pics from my neighborhood:

http://rr.cx/katrina/
sunset-kendall area west of turnpike features tons of lovely downed trees and knocked over fences. i heard 137 was basically unpassable because of so many downed trees.

the neatest thing i saw (probably not the best word to use, but i have an unhealthy love for hurricanes) was this tree that the bottom looked like a tack, and the trunk was split into three pieces vertically and peeled to three different sides, something like a banana being peeled.

stabme said:
sunset-kendall area west of turnpike features tons of lovely downed trees and knocked over fences. i heard 137 was basically unpassable because of so many downed trees.

the neatest thing i saw (probably not the best word to use, but i have an unhealthy love for hurricanes) was this tree that the bottom looked like a tack, and the trunk was split into three pieces vertically and peeled to three different sides, something like a banana being peeled.

Yea. Do you know where the Hammocks is? We have all trees down in this area and most of our traffic lights don't work. I live in The Hammocks area.

New orleans is sinking...

I should watch the news or something I knew nothing of this.

Having been to louisiana I can understand just how completely and utterly ----ed they'd be when a hurricane hit. Especially the low lying areas along the river.

Gayowulf said:
New orleans is sinking...

I should watch the news or something I knew nothing of this.

Having been to louisiana I can understand just how completely and utterly ----ed they'd be when a hurricane hit. Especially the low lying areas along the river.
Much of the far south Louisiana is a low-income rural area, and the people there just don't have houses that can stand up to something like this, especially the parts I've lived in (Des Allemands, Destrehan, Houma). Entire cities are going to be wiped off the map in a few days, with Des Allemands, Boutte, Raceland, New Iberia, Cutoff, and Venice coming to mind.

I think we've seen the last of Grand Isle too.

Last edited:
well you can look at it historically: devastating hurricanes (labor day hurricane was it?) didn't stop key west from dying.

(i might change my stance on that statement later since right now im not sure how developed the civilization of key west was at the time... :x)

Back