1. Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 125.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Add your web host to our brand new web hosting directory (beta).
    Dismiss Notice

Low End Machine

Discussion in 'Web hosting discussion' started by ericthomas, May 26, 2018.

1. ericthomas

ericthomas New Member

I see a lot of offers at LowEndTalk. But is it of any use ? What can a 256 MB VPS do ?

2. wswd

wswd Premium Premium Member

LAMP stack for a small website, DNS server, all sorts of things. :)

ericthomas likes this.
  3. ericthomas

ericthomas New Member

I see. Are these low end boxes better than shared hosting ?

4. wswd

Depends on the server configurations. A VPS on a low-spec server is likely not going to perform anywhere near as well as a shared hosting account on an high-spec server. Plus you have to remember, with shared hosting, you are almost always (perhaps even 100% of the time) getting a control panel of some sort (normally cPanel or DirectAdmin) with your account. With a VPS, you are going to need to purchase a license, and a 256mb VPS is not going to be enough to run any of the popular panels, so you are going to have to bump up the specs on the VPS.

The most important thing to remember is that a VPS IS shared hosting. I know the industry terminology is that there is shared hosting and VPS, but in using that terminology, people forget that VPS is on a shared server, with all the other users sharing the CPU, disk, etc. Yes, a VPS is more isolated than a shared hosting account, but it's still sharing resources with other VPS containers on the server.

ericthomas likes this.
  5. ericthomas

ericthomas New Member

I see. If people could run WordPress on these low end machines, they would have sold like hot cakes.

6. wswd

As long as you aren't running a ton of plug-ins or a super busy site, 256mb of RAM is more than enough to host WordPress sites.

ericthomas likes this.