• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Low End Machine

I see. Are these low end boxes better than shared hosting ?

Depends on the server configurations. A VPS on a low-spec server is likely not going to perform anywhere near as well as a shared hosting account on an high-spec server. Plus you have to remember, with shared hosting, you are almost always (perhaps even 100% of the time) getting a control panel of some sort (normally cPanel or DirectAdmin) with your account. With a VPS, you are going to need to purchase a license, and a 256mb VPS is not going to be enough to run any of the popular panels, so you are going to have to bump up the specs on the VPS.

The most important thing to remember is that a VPS IS shared hosting. I know the industry terminology is that there is shared hosting and VPS, but in using that terminology, people forget that VPS is on a shared server, with all the other users sharing the CPU, disk, etc. Yes, a VPS is more isolated than a shared hosting account, but it's still sharing resources with other VPS containers on the server.

I see. If people could run WordPress on these low end machines, they would have sold like hot cakes.

As long as you aren't running a ton of plug-ins or a super busy site, 256mb of RAM is more than enough to host WordPress sites.

Back