• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

[Merged] Human Rights In Nigeria

anhedonia

I'm on a boat
NLC
This is horiffic.

How many of you have heard about the Nigerian woman who will be stoned to death for having a baby out of wedlock? Isn't that appalling? In this day and age, such an act of coldblooded murder - and that's what it is - should not be tolerated by anybody.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200208190109.html

Anyway, I'm going to try and see if I can write a letter to the Nigerian embassy here in Australia. My teacher suggested it... Do you think it's a good idea? :confused2 She also said what will happen is the woman will be buried up to her neck and then stoned to death... What I want to know is, what punishment will the father of this out-of-wedlock baby be receiving? And what if there was a situation like this, but the mother was raped? How could she prove it, and would anyone care?

That is disgusting :mad:

And indeed, what does happen to the father? He gets to bring up the little girl as a *stud* father? :angry2: Or does he get his willy chopped off? Somehow I doubt it!
Rights campaigners, and some international groups, have also raised alarm, claiming that cases like Amina's show that the Islamic law as applied in Nigeria discriminates against women.

It's just bullshit, I cannot believe that in the year 2002, this kind of absolute murderous rubbish is still going on.

Originally posted by NITROboy
:eek:
It takes two to tango nitro....the woman carries the baby for nine months, gives birth and then gets stoned to death because the baby is born out of wedlock :confused2

The man should be punished too :mad: Two seconds (minutes or hours) of fun for him and a woman endures childbirth and a death sentence? :angry2:

Originally posted by Jan

It takes two to tango nitro....the woman carries the baby for nine months, gives birth and then gets stoned to death because the baby is born out of wedlock :confused2

The man should be punished too :mad: Two seconds (minutes or hours) of fun for him and a woman endures childbirth and a death sentence? :angry2:
djeez what can I say, men are addicted to sex, that's our nature :p

Originally posted by NITROboy

djeez what can I say, men are addicted to sex, that's our nature :p
And women aren't? :eek: :devious2:

Okay, put yourself in the position of this Nigerian lady's partner, together you made a baby, you assisted her throughout the pregnancy because you loved her, you attended the birth, held the baby. Then the authorities stepped in and now your lady is going to be stoned to death for bearing your child?

That is NOT nature, it is murder!

Originally posted by Jan

That is NOT nature, it is murder!
you would be surprised if you know what happens with a murderer in Belgium
most minors who committed murder just get a warning and they are back free!!

I remember a case, a 14 years old boy from Turkish origin killed a man with a metal stick, the man was at a bank to get some money
what happened to the boy??? nothing!! they just let him go as they supposed the boy didn't mean to kill the man...

Originally posted by Jan

Why is the man suddently the evil person? For all you know, he could be a caring, loving individual. Just because he made a baby out of wedlock doesn't automatically make him a horrible father. Neither one of them should be harmed or chastized for this, so for you to wish further malevolence on them is confusing at best.

The third-world government is to blame here, not the guy.

hi

@anhedonia

But it is so. Not everything in the world is running very well. In the 3rd world lands it is a big problem, but thats their culture and law (doesnt matter how hard it sounds). it ll be hard to change it!.

Many projects are running for the rights of the humanity.

We can only hope that it is getting better.

bye

Well, not that it makes it right, but this is the culture of these third world countries. It's appalling, but women are still treated like dirt in places like these (quite obviously, based on the story).

I agreee that the man should not be punished, but the woman definitely should not be punished either. This kinda thing happens everyday over here, and no one hears about it. What's happening to this woman is disgusting, and I'm glad you're writing a letter, but honestly (and I hate this), I don't see it making any difference. People can get away with anything in the name of culture, it's sick.

Yes, well, I suppose everywhere in the world can't be as righteous and humane as the Western society :rolleyes:

I think it's sick, of course, however it IS their law. What do you think you're going to do -- change the law of their religion? You can't. That's awful. As barbaric as it may seem to you and me, it's their religion, and with Muslims, their religion is their LIFE. You can't change it! I think it's something that will happen and unfortunatly will have to be accepted.

Re: This is horiffic.

Originally posted by anhedonia
Anyway, I'm going to try and see if I can write a letter to the Nigerian embassy here in Australia. My teacher suggested it... Do you think it's a good idea? :confused2
Beyond appalling like you said, it makes you really question a society and it's beliefs. I highly doubt a letter will change the beliefs and sentencing in the future but it couldn't hurt so by all means go for it. I doubt they would listen to a petition with a million signatures though. :cry2:

Using their line of thought, I suppose we should cut off the legs of those who jaywalk? What a society that would be, so fearful of the law that one wouldn't want to go out at all. What kind of people make these choices..

well, as bad as that kind of practice may sound appalling to westerners. You can't completely ignore the culture part of it. Perhaps that kind of practice is acceptable in their society? Maybe even the women see it as a normal part of life?

A similar example is in female circumcision and there are many criticisms on that. However, most doctors still agree that it's just a normal part of some countries' culture.

I am not defending their practice but there are more dimensions to one issue other than those from the Western society's point of view.

I think this is absolutely horrifying, but you also have to remember that this isn't happening only in Africa. So many innocent people have been given death sentence in America, only for the police to discover that the person was innocent, years after he dies. It is a bit different, as the crimes committed were all punishable by death (usually murder, etc.), but the innocent people who were sentenced to death did even less wrong than this woman. Every single one of these cases is desperately tragic, but honestly, don't act surprised that this is happening "in this day and age". :(

Thats right..

I remember watching a documentary on national geography channel about innocents given the death penalty and killed when they were actually innocent :(

Originally posted by conkermaniac
I think this is absolutely horrifying, but you also have to remember that this isn't happening only in Africa. So many innocent people have been given death sentence in America, only for the police to discover that the person was innocent, years after he dies. It is a bit different, as the crimes committed were all punishable by death (usually murder, etc.), but the innocent people who were sentenced to death did even less wrong than this woman. Every single one of these cases is desperately tragic, but honestly, don't act surprised that this is happening "in this day and age". :(

Originally posted by invisionz
Thats right..

I remember watching a documentary on national geography channel about innocents given the death penalty and killed when they were actually innocent :(

I would prefer lifetime imprisonment to the death penalty, as if you find out they were really innocent 5 years later, they can still be released and compensated for. :(

Back