• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Message Board

Carl

hey

can anyone direct me to a message board script in perl or php that has a similar look or feel to this one or ubb and that doesn't require mySql. don't say yabb though.

thanks

BoardPower is the best I've seen. There's two version, a Perl and a PHP/MySQL version. It looks similiar to this one but it's free. The URL is http://www.thewebmasterforums.com/

Hope that helps. :)

Regards,

Robert

Originally posted by Carl
hey

can anyone direct me to a message board script in perl or php that has a similar look or feel to this one or ubb and that doesn't require mySql. don't say yabb though.

thanks

Dude are you crazy? UBB is a bandwidth hogger! Get Boardpower! It's the same crap but 10 times better. There are two version, a PHP/MYSQL version and a PERL version. Get the perl version then!

no mysql!!! its ok anyway, i just got ubb

Although I cant give you an alternative, you better have a lot of bandwidth for UBB..its resource and bandwidth intensive. It may be ok now, but if you get a lot of posters (like this site), you may be in trouble :)

Just so you know...

i hate boardpower, i've used it many times before and i hate having to make people register to post.

One last thought

If you are interested in UBB alternatives at all (?), there is a post in the "general forum" that addresses this...it may be worth a look...

I use that board and it is great! easy to admin and maintain. One flaw is that sometimes the email function doesn't work, so when setting up set the password emailed to member to off.

one word: ikonboard

ikonboard. this is without a doubt the easiest UBB/UB/YaBB style board i've *ever* installed. and it has the look and feel of UBB, etc... but with about 1/10th the cpu usage. i'm currently replacing my old forum, so not a lot of it is up yet, but ckeck it out so far: http://www.weezer.org/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi

also, just a plug for my old forum, if you're interested in an easy to install threaded type forum, try the modified RobBoard at http://www.millsies.com. ton's of features, it blows matt's wwwboard out of the water, no questions asked. that forum is installed at http://forum.weezer.org/cgi-bin/forum/index.cgi

he also says he's working on a stand alone script that's about 90% done that will allow people to regster handles, etc... basically just like the old freewebspace.net forums, just a *lot* easier to install. whew, i feel like talking tonight, eh?

i hate boardpower, i've used it many times before and i hate having to make people register to post.

If you don't want to require your users to register then Discus is good. I've used it as a support forum for over a year and it's very easy to setup and administer.

But Ikonboard is a better board plus you can easily setup a Guest user on Ikonboard so any one can post without registering.

<howto>
Just create a user called Guest with a xxx password (use your own email). Then in the admin center, change the password to (blank). Then chmod the Guest.dat file to 400 so it can't be written to.
</howto>

Now you have a Guest user with a blank password (or you can have the password be whatever you want) so anyone can post without having to register. Just get ready to delete the spam posts.

Originally posted by robert
Dude are you crazy? UBB is a bandwidth hogger! Get Boardpower! It's the same crap but 10 times better. There are two version, a PHP/MYSQL version and a PERL version. Get the perl version then!

Hi,

One downside with Board Power is that there is no option for unregistered users to post messages, as there are on most other scripts (lke UBB). It might not matter to you, but for some boards, it would be good since all people might not want to register to post.

So if you don´t plan on allowing unregistered users to post messages anyway, then check out Board Power, otherwise you really must find something else.

Sincerely,

Daniel Hofverberg

Back