• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Milan on Fire

Blank Verse

NLC
NLC
http://tsn.ca/soccer/news_story.asp?id=121298

flares_62114.jpg

MILAN, Italy (Ticker) - An intracity rivalry turned ugly.

The UEFA Champions League quarterfinal second leg between Internazionale and AC Milan was abandoned on Tuesday due to crowd trouble at the San Siro stadium.

German referee Markus Merk led the players off the field with 15 minutes to play after a large number of objects, including flares and bottles, were thrown from the end of the stadium where the Inter Milan fans were located.

One of the flares struck AC Milan goalkeeper Dida on the shoulder, leading to Merk taking the teams off the field. Fans were furious over Merk's decision to disallow what appeared to be a legal headed goal by Esteban Cambiasso.

The players returned after a 20-minute absence but were back on the field for just seconds before more objects were thrown, leading to the match being abandoned.

AC Milan, which won the first leg 2-0 last week, was leading 1-0 at the time of the incident following a first-half goal by Andriy Shevchenko.

UEFA may decide the final 17 minutes need to be played in an empty stadium or it can award a semifinal berth to AC Milan.

The incident comes after the Italian government threatened to close some soccer stadiums Monday after 85 police officers were injured in a wave of fan violence across Italy.

Weekend games in Rome, Palermo, Udine, Cava dei Tirreni and Perugia turned violent as visiting fans battled police at some railway stations as they were led from stadiums. A total of 17 fans were arrested and more than 250 later identified and charged.

Play resumed last weekend in Italy after a break to mourn the death of Pope John Paul II.
---

Add this to the crazy shit that happens in international soccer. I remember at the last World Cup when I think...Croatia beat someone, and their were riots in the streets from supporters of the other side, and they set a dog adorned in a Croatian jersey on fire. It's just ----ed

yeah, i heard about that.

soccer is so frickin' boring, the crowd has to find alternative methods of entertainment. who can seriously go watch something for 90 minutes, come away with a 0-0 result and go, wow that was fun.

bozley05 said:
who can seriously go watch something for 90 minutes, come away with a 0-0 result and go, wow that was fun.
The fun comes when they get to throw stuff they normally wouldn't. And when the two teams compete in an empty stadium. What a thrill.

bozley05 said:
who can seriously go watch something for 90 minutes, come away with a 0-0 result and go, wow that was fun.

europeans, apparently.

on the topic of boring sports, i've recently realised AFL is one of the stupidests sports around, rugby is so much better :biggrin2:

Man, ya'll think you have seen excitement, wait till you hit the epitamy of excitement. It comes either here in the south with Nascar on the radio (hundreds of left turns), or even better golf on the radio. Now that would be exciting.

tandoc said:
europeans, apparently.

on the topic of boring sports, i've recently realised AFL is one of the stupidests sports around, rugby is so much better :biggrin2:
Rugby is good, but AFL still kicks butt.

Mahoro- lawn bowls or 10pin

Daniel- I love watching 9ball championships, aswell as 8ball. And I have just discovered World Poker Tour on TV, it is the greatest late night entertainment ever.

yes, poker is good, i love watching poker. I don't know why, but its just really entertaining.. and that's not sarcasm..

LeX said:
The fun comes when they get to throw stuff they normally wouldn't. And when the two teams compete in an empty stadium. What a thrill.

my question is who let all these fans bring flares into the stadium? What did I miss here? Where did all these people get flares, because they came from all different places in the crowd.

Back