• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

MineCraft?

sander k

NLC
A friend of mine wants me to rent him a server (colo) for minecraft. But is that 100% legal and what kind of server specs and OS does it need?

Yes, this is completely legal. Anyone with a minecraft account may host a multiplayer server (you might not even need an account, but I'm not entirely sure on that point). As for os/spec requirements, you can run a dedicated server on linux or windows, minecraftwiki recommends at minimum 1GB ram/2GB disk for minecraft alone(not including os requirements), but a recommended amount is 2GB+ of ram and 10-15GB Hard Disk for a server of around 20-25 players. You can probably make do with less, but this is recommended

Minecraft servers operate as a stand alone daemon, usually using a provided Java file from Minecraft.net or dl.bukkit.org (this one supports server mods).

I can say from experience that you'll need at least 1GB of RAM and 5GB of space, the world files become very large as people explore. A VPS of such specs will easily support as many as 6 people simultaneously without any major issues as long as the node's IO doesn't saturate.

The old formula used to be 32mb of RAM per simultaneous connection, but the newer versions run a great deal harder resource-wise and that figure is probably no longer accurate.

A license is not required for the server itself, however clients have to be properly licensed and authenticate back to Mojang in order to be used with a server.

Minecraft also uses loads of i/o and would greatly benefit from a SSD drive.

Yes, that would do fine. Using good 10k SAS disks or a SSD would ensure the best experience, but 7200rpm SATA drives will also work.

Also for the OS, anything that can run Java will work.

The server software itself is a jar file, and can be used on any device that supports the required Java versions.

I usually use *nix based machines for it though, as the server has no need of a GUI and can be made a lot more resource efficient by running it from command line.

You should ask him if he wants to use mcmyadmin though. That is a web based frontend for Minecraft allowing administration of the minecraft server. It requires a 64-bit OS to work correctly, but has a self-contained web server so that it does not require apache to be installed. Licenses for that are around $15 each from phonicUk.

Lol wow, I have no clue of what you are saying.
I will sent him to this thread, maybe he understands.

Typically normal HDD will work, noly that SSD is "new" technology and recently emerge as new toys for hoster or business to host game server and database server.

Typically normal HDD will work, noly that SSD is "new" technology and recently emerge as new toys for hoster or business to host game server and database server.

The main improvement in SSD is that it's been a lot cheaper, faster and reliable lately. This has changed the market.

Back