• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Most Significant Computer Game

Most Significant Computer Game

• Doom

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Zelda

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Resident Evil

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Elite

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Tomb Raider

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Command & Conquer

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Outrun

• Sim City

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Pitfall

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • MDK

• Total voters

VLC

as in terms of influence, thru technical innovation, design, storyline, an concept.

Oh, man VLC I missed your posts like this. I'm going to have to go with the original Doom, and then Unreal because its engine pretty much revolutionized the gaming industry.

Has to be Doom it brought the world into first person mode as far as games go.

PS that sig is a fair bit offensive, I'd change that as none of it is funny.

PPS whatever happened to 'Men Without Hats' Hobo?

Decker said:
PPS whatever happened to 'Men Without Hats' Hobo?

Bleh, they were a won hit wonder as far as I know. It might have been a good thing though, the Safety Dance music video is...well interesting to say the least.

fablex said:
where's Halo ?

Man, oh man I would hardly call Halo revolutionary. It just happened that it was the platform leader for x-box. In fact, I have an x-box and that is pretty much the only good game I can name for the system, but revolutionary no way.

Significant games would need to really provide something to the gaming industry in my opinion. Like I wouldn't list Mario because the only reason so many people know about it is because it was a headliner for nintendo. I would on the other hand say that the Nintendo system itself was revolutionary.

Also I'm going to throw in Counter-Strike as it pretty much defined online game playing for FPS's.

I want my 16 bit Sonic :(
I used to call him the blue bird. looked like a bird to me back in my kindergaden years :p

How could you miss something like StarCraft or WarCraft II, which are arguably among the most popular games of all time that gave new life to the RTS genre? I never even heard of some of the games you've posted.

Oh Starcraft is big, especially in the international scene and the original warcraft defines the genre. In fact Blizzard is a pretty big developer as the Diablo series is also a big name in gaming, with thousands of people still playing.

I'd say Commander keen/dangerous dave for its sidescrolling action that revolutionized gaming.

and then Wolfenstein 3D for its 3d, 1st person action.

but if i have to choose from the list, I'd choose Doom

Last edited:
How about Spacewar? You know...the very first interactive video game? Yeah...that one. I think it was a little innovative/revolutionary.

i was just about to ask exactly the same question, with out wolf 3d then doom wouldn't have been as sucessful. i'm also wondering why half-life hasn't been included in this as well.

i don't see Quake.. and more importantly... Zero Wing....

as far as revolutionary goes.... pong :p

There's not exactly a whole lot of variety in the options. Of those given, I'd have to go for Simcity, which showed us that games didn't have to be about running around and fighting bad guys!

Back