• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

My week sucked

Epgs

NLC Honorary Member
NLC
Sorry for the vent:

I was driving my great Aunt back to Chicago Illinois. I left Sat (one week ago today) thinking I would drive 2 days and have a couples days rest in Chicago Illinois. Well in Jeffersonville Indiana my car broke down. So we dropped it off at the dealership, got a rental car and a hotel. Within 1 hour the rental car broke down. It was a 1 star hotel (out of 5). Then we went to a different hotel, on Wednesday tornadoes hit, and the dealership still had no idea what was wrong with the car. We lost power to the entire hotel, then it came back on, then just our room lost power. They didn't figure it out what was wrong till Thursday. So they fixed the car on Friday and I drove to the airport and just got the hell out of there. Boy it has been a long week.

And we had a dog in the car with us. (And in the hotel)

BTW I got bad gas and my two catalytic converters were broken. Thats what was wrong with the car.

Well yeah, if I didn't laugh about it, then I would have killed someone. But I found some humor in it. And generations to come will love the story. It shall be in our family for a long time (and I left out a lot of detail of other stuff that happened, it will be in out book, haha)

Well it was fine before we left. It was bad gas we got on the trip, it had a diesel type mixture. That messed up the front catalytic converter. A piece broke off the front and then flew to the back catalytic converter and ruined it.

MATRIX said:
I though the high price of gas meant good quality maybe it was Irak oil.
The higher price you see is for premium high octane gas. It has a higher amount of something to make it premium high octane. It's supposed to raise mileage and be a little less stressful on the car..

Heh heh, I know it kinda sucked epgs, but that's actually an AWESOME story. You make the best with what you can on road trips, and you made a good situation out of that.

Daniel said:
The higher price you see is for premium high octane gas. It has a higher amount of something to make it premium high octane. It's supposed to raise mileage and be a little less stressful on the car..
But I heard you can't use too high an octane or something will happen to your car, that is for small cars at least.

Chicago is over rated.

Our mayor, Dick Daley, rules this place like a King. Here's a random joke: Why does Mayor Richard Daley always get the women's vote? Because women need their "Dick Daley"!

Heh heh, I know it kinda sucked epgs, but that's actually an AWESOME story. You make the best with what you can on road trips, and you made a good situation out of that.

It is a fun story, and yeah in hindsight it caused no damage. It was one hell of an experience.

trenzterra said:
But I heard you can't use too high an octane or something will happen to your car, that is for small cars at least.

Trenz: with the higher octane rating it burns at diff temps. So higher speeds with higher octane are better mileages. But you should never switch octane ratings in your car once you start filling it. Like if you start with premium always get premium. Or the same with regular.

And about Chicago, it is like any big city I have been to. It is fun for the first couple days, and then it is the same thing over and over again.

Last edited:
Epgs said:
Trenz: with the higher octane rating it burns at diff temps. So higher speeds with higher octane are better mileages. But you should never switch octane ratings in your car once you start filling it. Like if you start with premium always get premium. Or the same with regular.

Ive switched from 87 to 94 and back again a couple times now. I remember I got GREAT mileage when I put 94 in it, and the car runs better too. I dont know why I dont just stick with 91.

Sorry about your trip. What kind of car were you driving?

I was driving a Suzuki Esteem (1.8 liter). It isn't mine, but it should have gotten us from point A to B

Epgs: It shouldn't matter if you switch octane ratings.

The best way I can describe a higher octane rating is it's harder to ignite, so in an engine with higher pressures (like one with a blower, turbo, or high compression ratio) it keeps the burning mixture from resisting the piston on the compression stroke, and instead pushes the piston down on the power stroke.......as far as I know that's also how Methanol (fuel alcohol) and Nitromethane (bad@ss fuel alcohol mixture) work.

Typing 'methanol' made me thing of the smell of when it's burned....it's a sweet smell. I can't describe it other than it's sweet-smelling.

Last edited:
Back