• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Name Servers

Aaron

I recently got a domain with DomainZero and I set up shop with Portland, just as a test. It worked, and my site is up and running, but I noticed something weird when I logged into my domain administration earlier today. I went to see the name servers, and they were blank, and the drop down menu said "Use our servers." It doesn't make any sense, my site still works. Why would it say something different than Portland's name servers. Also, I noticed DomainZero now asks for a credit card number so they can immediately charge you when your free year is up. Guess I won't be getting my "real" domain with them, seeing as how I'm not gonna give my credit card number to a service that claims free domains, but will charge at the drop of a hat.

If the domain works then you must have entered in info to point it at portland? If you never entered anything ever, then it wouldn't resolve. Am I missing something here?

Hey...

I said I had gotten it to work, which means I did change the name servers. But, I went back to DomainZero just to view my information, and it looked like DomainZero had changed it back to the default even though my Portland domain still works. My question was how could this happen? How could the name servers say one thing, but then completely disregard it?

Go to http://whois.enom.com/ and see if your nameservers are entered for your domain name. If not, DomainZero really changed your nameservers to theirs and your domain should stop working in a few hours/days.

- Tobias

Well...

It says my name servers are still intact. But, it's still weird why DomainZero's domain manager would say something different.

The result of the whois tool is important, don't mind what their control panel says, so don't worry, just send them a short email that there is an error with control panel and they hopely will fix it soon.

Back