• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Off-Site E-mail Address Necessary?

Ashed

For those of you who owns domain names, do you guys rely on an off-site (however you call it) e-mail address in case your server/host goes down or do you just use me@domain.com and don't really care? :confused4

I use all sorts of e-mails. I have like 3. My personal is a pay account.

I generally use my domain email.

I still have my ISP email and my spam accounts as well though.

I use both to receive email, but only use my host's smtp server to send email since my isp's seems to be blacklisted every other day.

I use my @bellsouth.net for important stuff (ie. family), I use my robert [@] aboutrob.us for garbage and I use my dslr.net email for other stuff

Well, I just noticed today my e-mail was down, but it was only for a few minutes. Otherwise I haven't noticed it down for months. I have to use my ISP's SMTP server, because they block ports 25 and 26 :(

notnamed said:
Well, I just noticed today my e-mail was down, but it was only for a few minutes. Otherwise I haven't noticed it down for months. I have to use my ISP's SMTP server, because they block ports 25 and 26 :(
Check with your host, mine has 2525 open to allow relaying through their smtp server.

No Bruce... my paid host offers it, but my ISP blocks outgoing traffic to ports 25 and 26, so I can't use it.

I redirect my emails from my domains to my free aount on yahoo anyway. just easier to keep everything together in the one account.

I never use my domain mail, as I don't know how to configure POP3 on it (is there)? So I just use my ISPs one, after all it provides 20MB of space just for email.

Probably because hotmail was/is more popular?

"HoTMaiL" was all I knew 8 years ago... Yahoo!Mail is the only thing I use now.

People use Hotmail because it ties in with your MSN account better. (MSN Messenger I mean.) Yahoo's (at least was) more difficult

Back