• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

ok, I need help...

anhedonia

I'm on a boat
NLC
I really need a host for my personal site. It's an arty site and any ads are going to look horrible. I'd be willing to put up a button on the main page, or a text link, but pop-ups or banners are going to completely wreck the look.
Other than that, I need something which matches these criteria:

- 20mb+ space
- web-based file manager (my ftp is completely screwed due to cable firewall...don't ask)
- as i said, no ads
- reasonable speed...doesn't have to be super-impressively fast, just so long as it's not painfully slow
- a decent amount of bandwidth

That's it really, I honestly don't think that's too much to ask for. So, any suggestions anyone?

i would go for f2s, www.f2s.com 20 mbytes of space, no ads, php4, perl cgi, email accounts. i have used them myself, didn't experience very much problems, except some ftp errors. Might be a little bit slow sometimes.:p

"Welcome to the Freedom To Surf signup page!

Sorry - Our free webservers are currently full.

Recent demand for freedom2surf hosting has been incredible.
Additional capacity is being installed and should be ready
for new members this weekend.

Technical Services, Freedom To Surf"

I have heard they're really slow. How reliable are they? And do they have FTP, because I can't use FTP.

F2S is fairly reliable, they have FTP, but i think they also have web based uploads, not sure.

WTF?

Just clearing a few things up.
-F2S has NO browser uploads.
-F2S is getting REEEAAALLLLYYY SSSSLLLOOOOWWW.
-F2S is not a really good choice for an art site (I had one and it took like 2 minutes to load a 40k jpeg), even Geocities is better and faster (3 gig bandwidth, small ads)
-F2S had PHP3(not 4) the last time I checked (last friday), my PHP4 msg. board was not supported
-No Ads+Good banwidth (+2gig) are not usually the best thing to ask for, because I don't know of any fast ones.

You're better off with having small ads (ala Geocities) or having pop-unders (T35 & FreeCoolPages)

When I got cable internet, all FTP programs stopped working. I deleted, reinstalled the program I used several times, it wouldn't work. Since then I would say I've tried about 10 different FTP programs, but none of them will work and I have no idea why. :confused:

_________[ QUOTE ]__________
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 23:42:22 GMT
Subject: f2s: Internet News

<snip>
New for June will be the launch of our online file manager and backup
manager. These will allow you to manage your website content through
the freedom2surf members area and perhaps this is a world first: manage
your fully automated weekly online backups as well!

There is supposed to be a file manager but I sure haven't seen one yet. Maybe next year. :rolleyes:

Re: ftp

Originally posted by khanh
Hi,

If yr ftp client halt at list command, then you have to use PASV mode. It may help.

;)

Thanks...Well it doesn't work on "PASV" either. I think it's because of the firewall you get with cable, I don't know...

But thanks anyway :eek: ;) :) :biggrin2:

Re: Re: ftp

Originally posted by +chips

Thanks...Well it doesn't work on "PASV" either. I think it's because of the firewall you get with cable, I don't know...

But thanks anyway :eek: ;) :) :biggrin2:

Yup, I had the same problem with Zonealarm. Don't remember what I did to solve the problem but I think i turned off the firewall during the login phase. I don't have any problems with zonealarm pro.

Back