• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Perhaps it's time for a request template?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wswd

Premium
Premium Member
Looking at all the request posts, where potential clients never elaborate in the slightest, causing what should be simple request threads to go on for 3 and 4 pages, perhaps it's time for a "Request Template" to force people to follow?

Force people to list the disk space, transfer, server location (if it matters), any special requests, etc. For VPS and dedicated, really start requiring some serious answers.

Perhaps these threads wouldn't turn into 3 and 4 page threads if the hosts wouldn't have to continually ask the OPs additional questions and get clarifications.

Thanks for your suggestion. I don't know how to force people to include certain info in a request. Anyone know a mod that could do that? Even if we could do it I'm sure one reason requests don't include that info from the start is most users don't know for instance how much bandwidth they will be using. Forcing them to make something up doesn't really do us any good.

I agree. I don't think it's an exact science by any means as far as what people are looking for, and you're right that a lot of people simply don't know. But either way, the hosts HAVE to find out, or it's just a crapshoot. If somebody comes looking for a VPS, for example, I can offer anything from $5 - $100+. It's just impossible to make a decent offer.

We could have ranges, i.e. Disk space: 1-10GB, 11-25GB, 26-50GB etc.

I don't know, it was a just a thought. It seems like in most of the request threads, we end up going pages because the hosts have to pry information from the OPs.

I think most people have a budget, so that way it takes care of itself in the vast majority of cases. They mention the price they are willing to pay and you post what you can offer at that price. But, I'm willing to try your idea if there is some mod out there that could solve this.

Even making it a sticky of what people need to list is a good idea. If they fail to fill the required areas, their post gets deleted.

Personally I believe a required field would be "State EXACTLY what hosting will be used for" type deal.

I think most people have a budget, so that way it takes care of itself in the vast majority of cases. They mention the price they are willing to pay and you post what you can offer at that price.

Unfortunately most don't list a budget either. Some certainly do, and that is indeed helpful. Not sure if there are any mods that particularly cover that sort of thing. Let me see what I can dig up.

Even making it a sticky of what people need to list is a good idea. If they fail to fill the required areas, their post gets deleted.

Personally I believe a required field would be "State EXACTLY what hosting will be used for" type deal.

A sticky with suggested info to put in a request post could be one idea if there is no mod. But we are definately not going to remove requests simply because they did not include this info.

Why? It's none of your business. You aren't even a host supposedly.

To the OP. please do remember that there are thousands of people out there looking for hosting for the first time. They have absolutely no idea what they are looking for, apart from a host.

To the OP. please do remember that there are thousands of people out there looking for hosting for the first time. They have absolutely no idea what they are looking for, apart from a host.

Then we can't help them. If they don't have any idea what they need, then as Sain Cai said, they need to say what they are planning on hosting, otherwise there's nothing we can do to make them an offer. i.e. Wordpress Blog. Ahhhh, okay, then a simple 10GB of space and 50GB of bandwith will more than suffice. Video Streaming Site: That's going to be a little more intensive, require specialized hosting, etc. I'm not going to waste my time with a 10/50 plan.

Everyone has an idea of what they need, simply by virtue of what they are planning on hosting. Or...we can at least tell them what they need, with that info. ;)

Why? It's none of your business. You aren't even a host supposedly.

Actually, as a registered company. I'm entitled to know whats being hosted on my servers. Although I am not allowed confidential data, the type of site and publicly viewable content is to be known before I host anyone.

So, I vote that we at least require a request to state what type of site they want to host.

You can request it if you want of individual requesters, but I have never known of hosts requiring that information up front, in all the years on hosting forums and as a hosting client. If they did, there wouldn't be automatic registrations.

Anyone can sign up to your service through the link in your signature. I don't see a field there asking what I am hosting.

Thanks, I'll look into that one. In the meantime, any suggestion on what should be included in that template? This will be tested first and the template should be short in my opinion.

My suggestion:

- Budget
- Space
- Bandwidth
- Location of datacenter
- Shared hosting / VPS / Dedicated server / Cloud / I don't know
- If you are going to host special content, please describe it (for instance adult content, video hosting etc)
- If you require any special features, please list them here (for instance PHP, mySQL, cPanel, daily backups, parked domains)
- Anything else you'd like to mention to webhosts

Most if not all of those should be optional as some will not know much about what they want or need. They might need to discuss it with you guys first.

I'm testing the mod and it looks like it doesn't work the way we want. I'll continue testing it though to see if it can be solved.

Thanks, I'll look into that one. In the meantime, any suggestion on what should be included in that template? This will be tested first and the template should be short in my opinion.

My suggestion:

- Budget
- Space
- Bandwidth
- Location of datacenter
- Shared hosting / VPS / Dedicated server / Cloud / I don't know
- If you are going to host special content, please describe it (for instance adult content, video hosting etc)
- If you require any special features, please list them here (for instance PHP, mySQL, cPanel, daily backups, parked domains)
- Anything else you'd like to mention to webhosts

Most if not all of those should be optional as some will not know much about what they want or need. They might need to discuss it with you guys first.

That looks good to me! The whole thing should be optional, but highly encouraged. For those who don't know what they need, knowing what they plan on hosting is going to be paramount, since we can generally figure out what they need by what they plan on hosting...even if they don't know what they need.

The form is here. The form content will be submitted to Paid hosting requests. Feedback?

Not sure if it's possible to require members to use this form.

Last edited:
I'd like to throw in my two cents as well.

If you feel that there shouldn't be a need for you to nudge the person requesting the hosting in the right direction due to a lack of mandatory requirements, I believe that you are free to advertise your web host in response to the request given that said reply satisfies whatever the request has explicitly stated. If they knew precisely what they needed, they probably would not be here; searching on Google with their exact requirements would yield faster and more results. In fact, there is even a web hosting directory on this site to facilitate the search for a web host given exact specifications, isn't there? I haven't looked at it in years, though, so I'm not sure how it stands now. One reason that they need to post on a forum is probably because they are unclear and need guidance as to what they really need. I do not think it unnecessary that they need to be prompted. If you demand that they fulfil a certain request template, you might as well point them to the web hosting directory.

Last edited:
Well, you've got a point Kwek. But filling out a form and getting several replies by real people representing hosts is something different than searching google or our directory of hosts. Some members might like it, others may not. On the other hand this request came from a web host. So, would web hosts be willing to post their offers to this forum through a form too? I doubt it.

I'm willing to test this out to see if those who request hosting will use it or prefer to just make a normal post.

I couldn't disagree more with Kwek, to be honest.

Google does not provide reviews and advice from real people, who have used or are currently using a service. Ever wonder why WHT is so popular? That's why. You get thousands of real people, industry professionals, who know what they're talking about. The same is true here, just on a smaller scale. There is a lot of combined knowledge on the forum here.

I've been in the industry 16 years, as of a few days ago. I know very well what the heck I'm doing. I know EXACTLY what I want, what specs I need, and how much I want to pay for it. But when I recently went looking for an east coast datacenter for some dedicated boxes or co-lo space, guess where I went? :)

People who have no idea what they're looking for do indeed show up on web hosting forums, but I'd say they are far, far outnumbered by the people who are experienced, know generally what they're looking for, and simply want some opinions/offers. At least that's what I have seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back