• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Perhaps it's time for a request template?

Status
Not open for further replies.
People who have no idea what they're looking for do indeed show up on web hosting forums, but I'd say they are far, far outnumbered by the people who are experienced, know generally what they're looking for, and simply want some opinions/offers. At least that's what I have seen.

Ironically, if they are in the minority insofar that you'd say "far, far outnumbered", what phenomenon gives rise to this thread? If this forum is an exception to what you have seen generally on other forums, it is necessary that we are an exact mimic of something else?

A search on Google would probably yield more results from web hosting directories and web hosting forums like WHT, which may contain plenty of reviews depending on the exact host in question. Google doesn't provide anything; it simply gathers the collective knowledge of the world wide web, which includes this and other popular discussion forums. My point was that they do not need to post their requests. If they are indeed so experienced, they would be able to gather the necessary information from what is already out there. Every other day I see a new review on the usual web hosts popping up, which are then indexed by Google. This information will then be available to those who search. I'm not sure what you meant by "real people" in this case. Requirements alone on Google are not going to bring you straight to a web host's homepage. One might appear on the first page of the results, but there certainly is more information to dig into as well.

I'm not attempting to say that experienced people have no place seeking offers with very precise requirements on such forums, but we must be considerate of those who have not dabbled in the scene for long yet.

Ironically, if they are in the minority insofar that you'd say "far, far outnumbered", what phenomenon gives rise to this thread? If this forum is an exception to what you have seen generally on other forums, it is necessary that we are an exact mimic of something else?

Nope, not something from another forum at all. It was simply a suggestion that makes a whole lot of sense. The phenomenon that gives rise to the thread, is that recently I've noticed people are leaving out very basic information in their requests. What should be a simple one post request turns into 3 and 4 pages of question and answer sessions between potential clients and potential hosts.

Google doesn't provide anything; it simply gathers the collective knowledge of the world wide web, which includes this and other popular discussion forums.

You can spare me the Google 101 lesson. I know exactly what Google does and how it works, thanks. ;)

By "real people" I mean an active community of just that...real people...who are using the services, can answer any specific questions you might have, etc. If you use Google to lookup hosting reviews, for example, what are you going to come up with? I'm sure you know as well as I do that 99% of the review sites out there are BS. Sure, you might come up with a few forum posts somewhere. Many are probably years old. Forums are great for people who know what they're doing and what they want.

but we must be considerate of those who have not dabbled in the scene for long yet.

I think an optional form does just that. We are encouraging people to come up with real specifications, and those who don't know are more than welcome to go through the Q&A sessions just like they do now.

Forums are great for people who know what they're doing and what they want.
What about those who do not know what they want?

I think an optional form does just that. We are encouraging people to come up with real specifications, and those who don't know are more than welcome to go through the Q&A sessions just like they do now.
How is that different from the current situation?

I understand what you are hitting at, but a mandatory form may intimidate the newbies, while an optional form doesn't really change anything. It may make it less of a hassle for some people to construct their hosting requests, but does it have any significant impact on the current situation that we are examining?

I say we try it and see what happens. It's optional, so if anyone is intimidated by the form, they can just post a normal request thread. It's live now.

What about those who do not know what they want?

Forums are great for them too. Forums are great for everyone. :)

but does it have any significant impact on the current situation that we are examining?

No clue. We haven't tried it yet. I'm sure hoping it does. :)

To go back to the people who don't know what they want, if I may. Ideally, people who don't know what they want shouldn't be in the request forum to begin with. They should first go to the "discussion" part of the forum, say what they're looking for, and get an idea on what they need, and then go make a request with that new-found knowledge. Then the request forums are simple and clean. That's ideally of course.

To go back to the people who don't know what they want, if I may. Ideally, people who don't know what they want shouldn't be in the request forum to begin with. They should first go to the "discussion" part of the forum, say what they're looking for, and get an idea on what they need, and then go make a request with that new-found knowledge. Then the request forums are simple and clean. That's ideally of course.

That is the ideal situation in your opinion. When we leave things open, there is a greater amount of flexibility, and it is thus easier to make the general public happy; when we impose far too many constraints, people tend to shy away.

Anyway, I am not against the implementation of such a form, although I question its effectiveness. I guess now that Peo has made it available to the public we can all assess how well it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back