• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Permanent Moon Settlement???

conkermaniac

VIP
NLC
Yep, apparently Bush wants to see America establish a permanent settlement on the moon. While this is an interesting idea, settling on the moon isn't really a viable option at the moment, as supplies from the earth will have to be sent there frequently. Furthermore, space travel is no trivial matter--0.01% or less of all people are physically conditioned to undergo such a perilous journey (at least not without profuse vomiting). Although a permanent moon settlement is certainly a possibility in the future, as space travel becomes a more pleasant experience and as we become more skilled with producing life-sustaining molecules from scratch (or rather, a bunch of atoms), I think that this project is a bit too ambitious. And the fact that our Treasury is already paying billions a week to fund Bush's foreign escapades certainly isn't helping.

the $400mil spent on the mars rover could've been put towards things that are so much more important.. :confused2

hell, any space program is a waste of precious resources that could be put towards something that matters, like paying off their debt or something :cow2:

Originally posted by tandoc
the $400mil spent on the mars rover could've been put towards things that are so much more important.. :confused2

hell, any space program is a waste of precious resources that could be put towards something that matters, like paying off their debt or something :cow2:

The Space Program is very important and should not be closed. Our debt problem is Bush's fault, not NASA's, so they shouldn't be at fault here.

Bush's plan to send people to "Mars" and back to the "Moon" is all a political stunt, nothing more.

We've made a big leap by having a new rover land on the Mars, yet we aren't the only country that has done it.

Originally posted by Phyxisus
Pfft.. who are you people kidding.. 100% of people can already go to mars !

I have not been to Epcot in years! It's only 3 1/2 hours from me. I was never fond of it, now, it seems a little more interesting

Heh go there man! get a florida citizen discount [i think u can still get one..]

Take me around 10x that to get there!

Heh go there man! get a florida citizen discount [i think u can still get one..]

Take me around 10x that to get there!

lol yea. 15% off plus another 10% of U.S. Military Services (Father).

But it's still expensive. Last time I was there a ticket were like $75 per adult.

If they lowered their fees, more people would go.

Heh...CBS News interviewed Bill Nye the Science Guy on this :biggrin2:
He said basically what conker said. We should put these resources to something more worth our time, since it would cost 100's of billions and decades to do it, (he was talking about the moon and mars projects, not just 1 of them) and some other related stuff that I forgot.

Hehe...bill nye...

I know there's a load of mistrust in the world but I do think space exploration is important to everyone - who knows how long this poor planet has left :confused5 , so every country (within reason of capability) should all chip in and get involved and not try and outdo each other. I'd hate to see a case of only working together when it's too late :cry2:

Originally posted by Decker
I know there's a load of mistrust in the world but I do think space exploration is important to everyone - who knows how long this poor planet has left :confused5 , so every country (within reason of capability) should all chip in and get involved and not try and outdo each other. I'd hate to see a case of only working together when it's too late :cry2:

No country will ever work together. When The U.S. sent a man to the Moon, the first thing that was done was they placed a U.S. Flag on the moon. Now, the U.S. Flag did not stand for "We are from Earth, should any Aliens see us", but rather "We are the U.S. and we've claimed the Moon as ours".

Very true - they just better hope the first aliens who land for a chat land in the US then :biggrin2:

If it weren't for the space program we'd never have things like teflon for example. Also, a permanent moon settlement will pay for itself over time as we'll be able to mine/sell the natural resources of it. We can also use them to launch further sapce stations/ships onwards. The moon could become a gas station in the sky.

Yep - it would be a good stepping stone, plus certain things you can't do here zero G make possible, still have to be carefull hollowing the moon out though :)

I think the project itself is a great idea, but the timing is awful. With the billions and billions that are going into the war on terror, this money can be very, very, very well spent elsewhere.

Pfft.. who are you people kidding.. 100% of people can already go to mars !
Wow, I haven't been the Disneyworld in years, but it seems like they've got some interesting stuff there now. Might go back someday when I get the chance.

Heh...CBS News interviewed Bill Nye the Science Guy on this :biggrin2:
He said basically what conker said.
Well, glad to know that I've got the good analytical judgement of Bill Nye the Science Guy! :biggrin2:

i can't see why NASA hasn't used the 15.5 billion its given evey year to start it up. all it every seems to do is do really boring problems that have little to do with everyday world. Look at all the technology that come out of the space race in the 1960's. It would be about time that someone at least could start it up all over again. at least a moon base would be better than a stupid space station.

Originally posted by conkermaniac
What do you mean? The timing is perfect! Just in time for re-election...
I meant the budget timing. There is absolutely no money for this sort of thing.

Back