• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

PHP host...

I submitted a support ticket to Portland about not getting a password confirmation e-mail, they responded by sending me one...but this one done way back....have you done that yet iwod? :smile2:

Hmm...I guess your quest for FreeWebHosting continues...let's hope others can find something for you.

Originally posted by KBC
Let's hope others can find something for you.

Or just take what has already been offered here, and since you are not planning on paying, be happy you are even getting that. :angry2:

Last edited:
iwod,

i doubt you will find a host that runs php without safe_mode or open_base_dir restrictions, and if you do find one then it probably isnt very good anyway, any 'smart' linux/*nix system administrator isnt going to let users run shell cmds, use backslashes or hack other user accounts, php_safe_mode is what u call 'secure hosting', it is for your own good :).
it does not stop you from doing anything you would usually do but it prevents you from running system commands & accessing other users folders, and does uid,gid checks to make sure you own the files, (which i think is smart & safe).

good luck in your search.

ryza

ryza

i have trouble with my ftp too... i use WS_FTP. it keeps telling me that i have another client opened and shut the other client cos only one client is allowed. but i used the same window i opened to upload stuff anyway. it's very weird. it took me a while before it allowed me to upload. what's going on? my username is martiparty. thanks.

oh, a good free host is very hard to find. unless you want to host your own site... that's the best option but can be expensive (internet bills, domain...etc).

i know one paid hosting - 25mb, php enabled, ftp, free email acc, webmail, cgi,perl for US56/year. their server is quite good. i was with them for a yr. didn't give me trouble, no down time but just idiots working there. they couldn't understand why i couldn't get into their control panel. :rolleyes: they just couldn't figure out. :confused2

hmm thats no good,
it sounds like your not disconnecting from the server and it thinks your still connected, then u cant reconnect till your old connection times out?
i could set the timeout limit to something very low but that would also get annoying for the users who arnt having problems...

try using cuteftp i have no problems with that, or gftp if using linux.

Originally posted by leanne
ryza

i have trouble with my ftp too... i use WS_FTP. it keeps telling me that i have another client opened and shut the other client cos only one client is allowed. but i used the same window i opened to upload stuff anyway. it's very weird. it took me a while before it allowed me to upload. what's going on? my username is martiparty. thanks.

oh, a good free host is very hard to find. unless you want to host your own site... that's the best option but can be expensive (internet bills, domain...etc).

i know one paid hosting - 25mb, php enabled, ftp, free email acc, webmail, cgi,perl for US56/year. their server is quite good. i was with them for a yr. didn't give me trouble, no down time but just idiots working there. they couldn't understand why i couldn't get into their control panel. :rolleyes: they just couldn't figure out. :confused2

i have exactly the same problem... using ws ftp le... but now i seitched to my favorite ftp program Smart ftp....... working ok now... ^_^

And safe ode doe snot allow me to run some scripts such as pivot.... the news scripts...

i am using lycos.co.uk... it has a huge ad but i wonder why i dont have any ads on my phpbb forum... maybe you shouldnt put that as your index page in your directory.. that's what i did and i got no ads!!

i have heard mix review for lycos.co.uk....

somesaid you can not set up invisison board in them. But some has sucessful done so..... some said they are slow while other said it is acceptable speed.....

some said lycos.co.uk is crap and i should look for lycos in other country.....

true... the speed can be crappy sometimes but it works... at times, it gets fast though...and use phpbb instead of invision board... so it's just like a so-so host... it's not too good nor is it too bad....

Hello,

iwod, glad you got ftp working, sorry i cant disable Safe_Mode its on for
serious security reasons, unfortunately there is kids around that find it
funny to delete peoples websites, so i have to draw the line somewhere between
security and comfort. maybe you should try another news script?
generally safe_mode does not effect standard php functions/file operations.

ryza

thanks ryza, i will try another program if the trouble persists.

i still haven't signed up anything yet for my personal homepage... :(

what do u guys suggest?

Originally posted by iwod
i have heard mix review for lycos.co.uk....

somesaid you can not set up invisison board in them. But some has sucessful done so..... some said they are slow while other said it is acceptable speed.....

some said lycos.co.uk is crap and i should look for lycos in other country.....

Yes, yes, you can install Invision Board on tripod.lycos.co.uk. The speed??? ehmm... imho for a free host, they are OK. You can check a live IB here

Originally posted by ryza
Hello,

iwod, glad you got ftp working, sorry i cant disable Safe_Mode its on for
serious security reasons, unfortunately there is kids around that find it
funny to delete peoples websites, so i have to draw the line somewhere between
security and comfort. maybe you should try another news script?
generally safe_mode does not effect standard php functions/file operations.

ryza

Thx. I know safe mode is important as i have myself try to run a host as well. I am currently looking at different news script and see how they work out.

Back