• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

PHP or ASP.net

PHP. Been using a bit of ASP.Net lately and it's nowhere near as nice to work with... it doesn't seem to have nearly as many pre-defined functions.

Hi,
Rather I would like .net framework. It has better approach and scope as far as web development is concerned.

I say stick with PHP, since it's so portable. ASP.NET is great, but you need a Windows server - so if you use your scripts on shared hosting, it's much easier to deal with.

i like php more for the fact that i DONT have to use microsoft visual studio and do a build and if one file is bad, have the whole build break. php is much easier to manage IMO.

I usually let my environment make the decision. If it's on a Windows platform, I'd more than likely go for ASP.NET. If it's on a Linux box, PHP it shall be then--provided that I aren't working with Java Servlets. :)

i like php more for the fact that i DONT have to use microsoft visual studio and do a build and if one file is bad, have the whole build break. php is much easier to manage IMO.
SharpDevelop is actually pretty awesome. It's totally open source. The actual compilers are free and come with .NET when you download/install it. Microsoft likes to hide that. Visual Studio just an IDE, not a compiler.

http://www.icsharpcode.net/opensource/sd/

I've used it for C# console programming for a few months. I've never used the forms like in the screenshot.

But yeah, I like how I was able to quickly pick up both the PHP & C# languages. I'd stick with .NET for quick deployment of applications on workstations, and PHP for web development. I've never really seen any benefit of using .NET languages on the web when a great system is already there with PHP.

Last edited:
Some good guy gave me free rep in this thread. Thanks for the free reputation:)

Sorry for not talking about the topic.

SharpDevelop is actually pretty awesome. It's totally open source. The actual compilers are free and come with .NET when you download/install it. Microsoft likes to hide that. Visual Studio just an IDE, not a compiler.

http://www.icsharpcode.net/opensource/sd/

I've used it for C# console programming for a few months. I've never used the forms like in the screenshot.

But yeah, I like how I was able to quickly pick up both the PHP & C# languages. I'd stick with .NET for quick deployment of applications on workstations, and PHP for web development. I've never really seen any benefit of using .NET languages on the web when a great system is already there with PHP.

very good points Mo B D!ck. :D

I agree that Visual Studio is good for RAD. Stick with PHP for web development, and something like C# for XBox and some Windows based applications.

Back