• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

PHP Version Upgrades On Webhosts

worlditsme

I recently came across the news that some of the MYSQL features are being dropped from PHP5 and it got me thinking, is it a good idea to upgrade PHP on a webhost if client scripts are relying on some of these MYSQL commands.

Yes, I do not upgrade PHP on any of my servers right away because of the risk of breaking things, but it is high time that all hosts should be above PHP5 by now.

Somehow it is best to stay at PHP 5.2.17 at this moment.
I also found that a lot of scripts, can't work properly under PHP 5.3.x.

arditie taking

Hi,

We always use the latest PHP stable release, but we give it about a month after release before we upgrade, and we give customers fair warning, usually bout 2-3 weeks.

We also post links to relevant articles about deprecations etc.

Regards,

Nick.

I noticed that too. They depreciated all of the mysql_* libraries in PHP 5.3, which breaks pretty much every site out there that wasn't set up using MySQLi

All of my equipment is running PHP 5.2 at the moment for that reason while I rewrite my own code to be 5.3 compatible, and wait for client software to be updated to support it as well.

Also possible though is the use of PHP CGI to manipulate the versions- that way if a particular site needs a higher or lower version than your server runs natively, you can use that to work around it with decent results.

I tried it on a sandbox machine and the first thing I realized was that WHMCS no longer worked. So needless to say, I have no plans on upgrading PHP on any of my production boxes in the near future.

Hmmmmm. We have been running 5.3.6 on all our servers for about 3 months now (April 10 to be exact), and have not had any problems with scripts at all, including WHMCS. I have heard plenty of people having issues though.

It could be the WHMCS plugin that is not compatible with PHP 5.3.x
Coz the WHMCS itself can work well in PHP 5.3.x

Back