• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

phpBB 2 Vs InvisionBoard

Best Of Two

• phpBB

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • InvisionBoard

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
phpBB2

It's simplistic, but you have the option of adding countless mods if you so desire.

The phpBB community is helpful too, unlike InvionBoard where there's only a bunch of two year olds running around.

heh, how many times has this type of thread come up now?? I like phpbb2, but then, I've never used invisionboard. ;)

I like the feel of phpbb more. Really, that's what it all comes down to.

I don't know what extra features IPB has, but I don't care to find out. I don't like using IPB...it just doesn't feel good to me.

Originally posted by Bruce
phpBB2

It's simplistic, but you have the option of adding countless mods if you so desire.

The phpBB community is helpful too, unlike InvionBoard where there's only a bunch of two year olds running around.
And you stop there without any explanation? :rolleyes:
Well, I like IPB, but 2.2 looks cool! The coding for IPB is better too, neat and organised. :)

I use IPB but actually I prefer the look and feel of phpbb2, which I also use. IPB does have a few more features but when it comes down to it, its which look you prefer.

I like phpbb, but I am planning on doing an installation of invision, so I'll be back to say how the two compare.
One thing I like about phpbb is that they have a directory for members sites.

Originally posted by The Red Guy
And you stop there without any explanation? :rolleyes:
What's there to explain? You go the the Invision forums asking for help and some power-tripping mod tells you to shut the ---- up. Yeah, that's real helpful.

that's true, but headstrong mods don't make the software perform any less than desirable.

I personally prefer InvisionBoard since its code is neat and easy to code plugins and addons for, and second i prefer the way its skinning engine and everything works.

Ummm...it really depends on the person. I don't mind either, they both work for me. Of course, i haven't tried to skin IB yet so i don't know which one is better for that.

Originally posted by Bruce
What's there to explain? You go the the Invision forums asking for help and some power-tripping mod tells you to shut the ---- up. Yeah, that's real helpful.
Which mod was it? As far as I'm concerned I went to get help, got it, and received some nice support from Watty and Jay. I can't get such support from phpBB in the past it seemed, haven't asked anything for ages.

i prefer phpBB but only because i'm using it right now. If i had to choose right now, i'd probably choose Invisionboard.

Then again, who knows what they'll pull off with phpBB 2.2.. can't wait :)

Originally posted by Cheap Bastard
i prefer phpBB but only because i'm using it right now. If i had to choose right now, i'd probably choose Invisionboard.

Then again, who knows what they'll pull off with phpBB 2.2.. can't wait :)
You shouldn't wait for phpBB2.2. Now they have only completed milestone 2 of 4. Long way to go. :)

I've used both:

InvisionBoard::
Pros: Code is neat, and easy to skin. Supports ok.
Cons: Not enough mods or anything useful to me.

phpBB::
Pros: Lots of mods, easy to code/skin aswell. Supports great!
Cons: Coding isn't very neat, and it doesn't work with a postgree db.

Finall thought::
I like IB but phpBB is alot better to me. phpbbhacks.com offers alot more hacks for the board then anysites of IB combined. Overall I'd say phpBB.

Back