• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

phpbb vs. SMF

myBB is some pretty good stuff aswell ..... worth a look I reckons..... I use it...v customizable, easy to administer, no bugs, strange errors, or other mishappenings of any kind so far....

myBB is a cute forum software but when it comes to functionality, i prefer SMF.
phpBB looks good too, but I didn't dare to use it because SMF functionality was superior and you can costumize SMF to make it even better.

I dunno, there's nothing SMF can do that MyBB cant do, and mybb just feels more complete, comes with a portal ready to go.

KRAK_JOE said:
I dunno, there's nothing SMF can do that MyBB cant do, and mybb just feels more complete, comes with a portal ready to go.

First, myBB mod for automatic dumping of database was not yet complete when I tried using it. It s_cks for a lazy admin like me to do the backup of my database everyday manually.

Next, there's no style.css file in myBB and it s_cks to do the editing of the theme in their somewhat WYSIWYG admin panel. I like to edit css file with a text editor but it seems myBB won't allow it. Style.css of SMF is a mess, honestly, but at least I can access it.

And some other posting functionalities (or maybe mods) not present in myBB, just that I can't remember them exactly right now.

I prefer SMF because of the community and standard functionalities,
phpbb has been my favorite for several years untill i switched.

Dayu said:
First, myBB mod for automatic dumping of database was not yet complete when I tried using it. It s_cks for a lazy admin like me to do the backup of my database everyday manually.

Next, there's no style.css file in myBB and it s_cks to do the editing of the theme in their somewhat WYSIWYG admin panel. I like to edit css file with a text editor but it seems myBB won't allow it. Style.css of SMF is a mess, honestly, but at least I can access it.

And some other posting functionalities (or maybe mods) not present in myBB, just that I can't remember them exactly right now.

Well for me, I don't use a forum for such features, if I want to dump a database, I'll use phpmyadmin, coz that's what it is for.

Also, editing style.css, don't be lazy design one yourself, or have one made for you.

I didn't say it's the best, I said it's worth keeping an eye on.....and which other posting functionalities are you on about, I was using smf for about 6 months, and there's no noticable difference in functionality.....

Back