• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Police Ware??

NC_TOM

I can get u banned.
http://www.stoppoliceware.com

Sign the petition.

Supposedly, the government is trying to have Police Ware installed on all new computers. Violation of the Police Ware could mean 5 years in prison and/or a $500,000 fine. This includes removing the Police Ware from your system or using pirated software.

If you choose to use an OS other than Windows (one which does not support Police Ware) you may be subject to the penalties as well.

This seems kinda ridiculous but I think it's for real.

Damn! Is this only in your country? I guess so. But I'll fully support the petition anyway so that no other government tries to do it.

Damned good idea, even if I don't like the penalties for not using Windows. I doubt it's anything more than a hoax, though, or possibly just overt paranoia on the part of the "I can't live without my warez!" crowd. Something like this would be terribly difficult to implement and monitor. But, if it were real, it would be a giant step in the right direction. I'm all for it.

I support this. Pay or get busted. How would you like if you owned something, and somebody broke into your house and stole it?

However, I think Police Ware should be made compatible with all systems. So we can really tackle this anti-capitalist threat.

This will succeed, as the only people against it are theifs, and steal from people who actually work or will be working for a living. Adios, warez.

I agree with you giancarlo but I think people should have the freedom to decide what goes on their computer. Like warez people will very easily find ways around this and hand out cracked copies of windows that get past these systems. Websites will be put up saying update your copy now and stuff. I agree that it will also be hard to monitor.

Yes, you are right. But... how will this be tackled in a different way besides requiring people to install this software? I don't mind, as I am a law abiding person, and law is a possible career path for me (as a prosecutor).

However cheatpark is right. In the United States, over 100 million people use the internet. The FBI cannot monitor that, as it has its hands tied in terrorism cases, and other more life threatening situations. The NSA probably can though.

Originally posted by NC_TOM

If you choose to use an OS other than Windows (one which does not support Police Ware) you may be subject to the penalties as well.
That leaves me in a nice situation...

So I either use a pirated copy of Windows and go to jail, or I use Linux and go to jail as well? Wow. What a choice. :confused2

Originally posted by cheatpark
I think the government have more important issues to concentrate on.

It already is. This is for the NSA, the part of which isn't that active in other operations.

I think people should have the freedom to decide what goes on their computer.
Just like the freedom they have to steal whatever they want from Wal-Mart as long as they keep it within the bounds of their private property... oh wait, you don't have that freedom. Well, just like the freedom they have to inject whatever drugs they choose into their private bloodstream... oh wait, can't do that either. Or... no. I don't see how disallowing the use of pirated software would be encroaching on your freedom anymore than any other law is.

Like I said, though. I don't think it's gonna happen in the foreseeable future. It would simply be too difficult, expensive, and time consuming to implement this sort of strategy. There are more effective means if the police would just get off their lead asses and enforce laws we've already got.

So I either use a pirated copy of Windows and go to jail, or I use Linux and go to jail as well?
...or you legally buy Windows and go on your merry way.

This Windows-only clause is what makes me really think this is just a hoax, the government isn't about to hand Microsoft its monopoly on a silver platter after it's already gone through so many anti-trust suits over it. If "Police Ware" is real, it's nothing like it's being described.

Well then, looks like your merry way ends at boxing up your computer. See, you still have an option left that doesn't end with prison.
Ban Anti-Bullfighting groups! They are full of ignorance snobs!
Richard Nixon
I never knew Nixon campaigned against people against bullfighting. :D

that seriously sucks... I am glad it is more than likely a hoax, because otherwise I would be in some serious debt!... I don't think they should be able to do it personally, it is an invasion of computer user's privacy... but even if it is real people will always find ways to get around it.

Well if your computer isn't really online then I can't see what they can do to find out. However like windows xp I think they would force you to go online and register or something like that.

Originally posted by Giancarlo

No stupid, that is a link. The top quote is me.
He's not stupid (at least I don't think). Notice the ':D' signinfying he was joking.

However like windows xp I think they would force you to go online and register or something like that.
Who forced you to go online and register WinXP? :confused:

Originally posted by Bruce
He's not stupid (at least I don't think). Notice the ':D' signinfying he was joking.

Who forced you to go online and register WinXP? :confused:
I haven't used it but apparently you have to register it online within 30 days.

Back