• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Problem

Giancarlo

NLC
NLC
I currently have a computer networked into my other Computer (HOST) using an DSL Line, I am currently using the client and it seems like ICQ won't connect... can anybody help?

Just a stab in the dark here, but maybe it's a firewall issue if you have one in place. I'm leaning towards a proxy problem though. ICQ and a lot of 'streaming' type media often have problems with proxies.

Greg Moore

umm.. i used to have windows nt4 connected to the internet while 2 windows 98 se computers shared the internet with me.. i used microsoft proxy server.. i installed the server on the nt4 and the proxy clients on the other computers..

web browsing worked but i had to set the proxy on the browsers to the name of the server computer and uhh.. aim/icq worked.. but ftp didn't..

now i have a windows me connected to the internet using the included internet connection sharing manager.. i network to 1 windows me computer, 1 windows 98 se, and 1 windows 2000 laptop.. everything works on all of them except ftp on the windows 98 se doesn't connect sometimes.. (or i have to wait like 2 minutes before it connects)

i don't know how to share the internet using windows 95/98.. never tried

Originally posted by Jerry
i don't know how to share the internet using windows 95/98.. never tried [/B]
It's possible. My school's doin' it right now. With 98, of course, so I still don't know if it's possible with 95. Should be, though. Wasn't there a "Neighborhood Network" (whatever it's called) icon on the desktop in 95 and 98? Yeah...

what version of icq are you using?? I have a windows2000 setup as a server connected to the internet and 2 win98 connected to it. And everything worked fine.

The only problem is that when i looged in as a user ( or anything ) on the sever, it stop allowing internet access to my win98 machines.... anyone know how to set this up??

Back to the question, you could tey to set your win98 machine with a ip address.

on the network screen where you install services and network portool. Click on the properties of TCP/IP,
and set the ip address as 192.168.0.? ( ? being the number of computer you define them, it could be 2,3,4,or 5 etc.. but don't use 1 becoz it is already used by your server.)
Then on the subnet typed in 255.255.255.0

See if that helps.

Back