• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Rackshack.net, are there for real? 400 gigs bandwidth/month

vin16

Hi Guys,

Recently I found out about Rackshack.net, just wanted to know how there can offer dedicated servers with 60 gigs webspace and 400 gigs bandwidth per month for only $99 US/Month.

If you look at other providers, e.g rackspace.com there charge
alot more for similar packages.

Am currently in the process of looking for a dedicated server
with 10 gigs webpace and 100 gigs bandwidth per month for $50 - $60/month. Does anyone offer a package with my requirements.

Thanks in advance guys.

Rackshack uses the "you won't use as much as you buy" strategy like many hosts.

I believe that Vegs missed the exact wording (names are so similar). Regardless:

Am currently in the process of looking for a dedicated server with 10 gigs webpace and 100 gigs bandwidth per month for $50 - $60/month. Does anyone offer a package with my requirements.

So isn't rackshack.net managed, in the sense that if my dedicated
server goes down, don't there provide support and/or does it
cost extra for support.

Overall, is rackshack.net o.k and is it worth buying a dedicated server from them.

rackshack is unmanaged. You should know what you are doing, completely. The only time you'd email support is for a hard reboot, or if you have a hardware problem (drive dies), or an intitial software problem. That's about it.

Great, I don't know anything about dedicated servers than.

for example, if we buy a dedicated server, do we have
to install the server software and all the other software that
we may need (e.g mysql, perl, php) by ourselves.

What about security on a dedicated server, would that be provided by rackshack?

Since I am currently hosting my website on shared hosting package where everything is pre-installed, would it
be recommend for a guy like me who doesn't have a clue about
installing server software etc. to be buying a dedicated server.

Basic software is installed, you need to worry about securing your own box. I would suggest you either read up on linux admin and start out with a test box the go public when you feel your ready, or get a fully managed dedicated server.

Originally posted by vin16
If you look at other providers, e.g rackspace.com there charge
alot more for similar packages.

Am currently in the process of looking for a dedicated server
with 10 gigs webpace and 100 gigs bandwidth per month for $50 - $60/month. Does anyone offer a package with my requirements.
Going beack to your original post, this is why rackspace and other providers like them, charge a lot more for what seems to be a similar package. While I second the suggestion of managed services, I'd honestly think you'd be hard pressed to find a managed solution with 100 GB of transfer/mo for $50-$60.

Just for another exacmple, http://www.dialtone.com/prodandserv/ibmxseries/value/valuelnx.php?category=PRODUCTS+&+SERVICES

1GHz PIII/512MB/20.4GB HD/30GB transfer = $200 set-up and $150/mo

More than you need I'm guessing, however not enough on the transfer. Maybe a Cobalt RaQ would suit you? They aren't the most powerful machines in the world, however they are dedicated and might suit your needs. Admin is easier than most linux servers, and you can get *close* to $60/mo, certainly at $100 (or less).

Thanks Chicken(Moderator) for the info.

Why is cobalt raq cheaper than linux?

Can you recommend anyone who offers cobalt raq(managed) for under $100/month.

I need more than 80 gigs Bandwidht a month.

Coming to security on a Dedicated Server, if I get a managed server would security come with it or would it cost extra.

To be honest security concerns are the only thing stopping me
from buying a un-managed dedicated server. Eventhou
I don't know how to manage a dedicated server, it can be
learnt through manuals and with trials on test boxes as mentioned by HAZE.

Thanks.......

Thanks Chicken(Moderator) for the info.

Why is cobalt raq cheaper than linux?

Can you recommend anyone who offers cobalt raq(managed) for under $100/month.

I need more than 80 gigs Bandwidht a month.

Coming to security on a Dedicated Server, if I get a managed server would security come with it or would it cost extra.

Thanks.......

for managed server, it would be hard to find host that offer that for less than $100

Thanks.......

Almost all of the datacenters have a good firewall. The bigger companies have an actual army of security officers(RackShack has this and I'm sure others).

If you were to install a firewall of your own on your un-managed server, you could lock yourself out of the system.

My bad I thought it said 30GB that is actually a good deal, now the question comes...are the reliable, and trustworty?

Back