• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

RAID1 disaster - warning to all web hosts

JodoHost

This is just a warning to web hosts who are currently relying on a RAID1 controller as their primary data-protection system

One of our servers recently experienced a massive hardware failure. The Adaptec RAID1 controller failed causing data corruption on both the 73GB SCSI hard disks we run in the system. What shocks us most is this is the best type of hardware out there. These are expensive hot-swap SCSI hard disks and with a RAID1 controller from one of the most reliable companies - adaptec. This system was a Dual Xeon 2.4GHZ supermicro server

If you look at it, we also run RAID5 arrays (in 36GBx3 and 73GBx3 SCSI HD configurations) and they have shown more reliability (even though RAID5 is said to be unreliable as compared to RAID1)

We lost all customer data due to this failure. We normally keep backups of all servers but in the case of this server, the backup was never transfered to our NAS server (a gross management mistake). As a result we have had to issue thousands of dollars in refunds. I hope hosts benefit from this information. Having an off-site backup is a must with whatever data protection level you use, even on RAID10.

Wow, thanks for letting us know. That must haave been a huge hassle. Best of luck to you with all those customers.

I'm sure you just happen to be on the odd side of things. Though this isn't the first time I've heard about RAID1 ----ing up, but it's certainly not the norm. I'm sorry to say that it didn't turn out good for you.

Back