• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Request for a Host for a MIDI Site

Before arguing, you must learn what MIDI stands for: musical instrument digital interface.
Continuing from there, midi files contains codes that can be translated into sounds by a interface, like a computer+software, and/or musical keyboard/synthesizer.

I'm with ya, but I'd still bet my lunch on the copyright lawyers. Same idea goes for the Tracker songs, which take a library of sounds + a pattern. The end result becomes a derivative work when played.

Anything derived from a copyrighted source is technically illegal. If you made a MIDI from Lady Gaga's Poker Face and distributed it, she has the legal right to sue you. Just because you transform the song into blips and bloops does not take away from the fact you took the original copyrighted music.

Regardless, I seriously doubt any company would go so far as to raise a stink about a MIDI website. If someone is looking for free hosting for one, you can pretty much be assured that the site is small and obscure and not likely to draw attention to any of the Anime creators.

I am very interested in that letter! Do you have permission to generally distribute the letter as "general advice, not legal advice etc etc?" Or is it for your company only?

Of course Netherlands Law isn't US Law, so all kinda of chaos could ensue.

I spoke to my lawyer in lenght and it is not allowed, it doesn't matter if the file is a midi, mp3, wav or what ever.

My servers are offshore, but still I won't allow it on my servers. If Lady Gaga will sent in a DMCA I will have a big problem as the DC will proberbly take down the whole server.

This is really amazing that this post has become a valuable resource for any computer science graduate taking ethics classes or for anybody needing a starting point on copyright laws and hosting.

Last edited:
You could open a midi site IF you can contact all the shows producers for permission. If they grant permission, then you are in the clear (keep the email for proof so if your provider wishes to crosscheck they can). If they do not grant permission, simply leave that midi from the series off the site. It may take some time to find out who to contact for permission, but then you be assured that you are not violating any laws and your site is protected.

Back