• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Should we do something about the abuse within the (free) hosting industry ??

All my sites are gone and I never got a backup from Jewelzk, dispite Roland giving me "his word" that I would, nothing I can do about it ... I'll rewrite it when I have time and help ....

Oh dude...I was reading through this and thinking wow! These guys are motivated. So now the data is lost?!

That's messed up.. sorry guys

I just read the whole thread (never saw it before) and it seems like a good idea. I don't know what help I could give since I don't have a ton of experience with PHP (and it's been a while) but I could definitely see this going somewhere.

Over the last few months, about this time of night ( almost 4am ), I've been working on the idea on the down low ...

API: http://hostinquest.com:1000

I plan more API methods, such as the ability to ask questions, like isUserCriminal( backlog ) and isUserHostedElsewhere( is_paid ) and stuff like that, still to start gathering data that'll do ... you can still emulate these methods using search.* methods for the mean time ...

I'm very tired, not only am I very tired, I'm very busy right now, it's getting more and more complicated each time I open the project in eclipse, so I doubt if I'll get any more "spare" time for a few weeks at least ... the times when I could sit for an hour and wind down with this are gone ...

Before anyone real clever points it out, I'm aware introspection isn't working fully, that's because it's not written fully yet, nothing will be taken away from now on, but things will be added ....

Last edited:
I'll see if I can find some time to maybe create some hooks or whatnot..get some sort of contribution.

Are you on MSN at all Joe? I know you said you don't really use IM..but do you log on at all?

That's got a lot of promise Joe, watch though it could be taken as being another Experian type jobby :D

I suppose that's how it's s supposed to be taken, only a purpose built experian for the hosting industry. Plus, I'm not gonna give you the first 30 days for free and start charging your --- off ... it's free, period ...

I do go on messenger, several of them, someitmes ...

I really am busy this week ( with FWS ), so I can't really pay much attention to anything else, I'll send you a pm with some IM contacts when I'm a little less busy ...

There's some basic search and record code written already on the API feel free to use some of that to play around with ...

While you're testing, please use record.sync and record.remove to cleanup after yourself periodically

Last edited:
This looks promising, something which looks like I could intergrate into cP Creator. Could drasticly change quite a few things in the free host market if a lot of people pick it up.

One question, when checking through the example there doesn't seem to be a function to search just for an criminal user. Do the search function return that value if it does exist? Or if a account was suspended or terminated are they removed off the system?

Morning Johnny :)

Okay, so here's how it works ..

Records are stored in records table, they have the following fields

rid - record identifier
hid - host identifier
email - email address
hostname - hostname that hid is hosting
address - ip address of client
country - optional ( I will fill in the blanks with GeoIP, you can send this information if you have it
created - timestamp for creation date, indicating this rid concerns a creation
deleted - timestamp for termination date, indicating this rid concerns a termination
suspended - timestamp for suspension date, indicating this rid concerns a suspension
unsuspended - timestamp for unsuspension date, indicating this rid concerns an unsuspension
criminal - integer ( boolean ) value indicating if rid this record concerns is associated with criminal activity ( that includes breaking TOS, they are a legal contract bla bla bla )
notes - these could be generated or written, doesn't matter, no standard format, if you have something useful to say and a way to say it then include it for the benefit of other people

When you call record.create, record.delete, record.unsuspend, or record.terminate, it creates a new record with unique rid ( and returns it ), the timestamp is stored in the appropriate column.

Keeping records seperate means hosts can manage their own stuff with record.sync and record.remove, record.remove physically removes the record from the database, record.delete indicates a termination event.

if you search.* for records, if any of the records returned contain a criminal member that is true, you know there's something going on, especially if the records returned contain multiple hosts, enough host information is returned in each record, such as the hosting type, if they are paid, their hostname and their internal id, for you to make an automated decision ...

Also Joe, it seems like the activation isn't working.

When you clicked on the link the account was activated, and it said "Thankyou johnny, your account has been updated !", no need to submit the form too, that's why no rows were affected because you were already active :)

Last edited:
Morning Joe,
Seems so now. Just logged in and all was tip top. Just when I clicked it once that's what it said.

Thanks for the explanation, this does seem promising, something I want to intergrate and put in. I guess I'll leave it up to the host to see how they're going to want it to work. Allow users with multiple hosts, existing IP's, criminal activities etc.

When you clicked on the link the account was activated, and it said "Thankyou johnny, your account has been updated !", no need to submit the form too, that's why no rows were affected because you were already active :)
Lol it most likely did, just my stupid fault. I'm going to have a play with this, this morning. Looks interesting.

Oh another question.
Looking at hosts, I'm guessing you need a key for every host you create. Since I have no control at all on the hosts which use my script, is there something which can be done there?

EDIT: When playing around I get this from my API key:
the api key provided is invalid for 72.44.82.101

Last edited:
Your hosts themselves will need to create keys, you'll already have an option for Allow Criminals, Allow Users Hosted Elsewhere ( possibly with a time bar ), and such so having an Host Inquest API field for them to enter their own key should be ez enough ... one user can only have 10 active keys, that's reasonable I think and covers hosts that split their hosting into paid.host.com and free.host.com and game.host.com ...

Last edited:
Back