• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Sig & gif forum storage

Midnight

Dear Forum Members - this is my first post to this forum and I am not a web designer, just a member on a few forums. Recently a woman on one of the forums volenteered to teach us (us means a dozen coffee catch ladies) how to make signatures, place clipart or animation gifs and eventually make our own web pages. Most of us are pretty stupid when it comes to web page stuff.We never got to web pages. Apparantly the girl had used a page at angelfire to store the signatures and gifs. It was suppose to be a teaching page as well. Today, her page got booted becasue they said she was hot linking. I have been searching dogpile for a place to store sigs and gifs - and don't find anything, but I did bump into your forum. After reading a few threads, I thought some of you, might be able to advise me. Is there any such thing as a gif and sig storage site? Do I have to put up a web page like she does to do it? Is there some other way to handle the sigs and gifs? I don't mind paying for a site that does that, as long as it's not an out of site price. Any idea of what to do?

Thank You

Midnight

So you are just looking for a site that alows hotlinking? Not many alow hotlinking. You would have to put up a few HTML pages along with it. How about www.f2s.com
<EDIT>That place is pretty advanced though, how about www.freehost.nu ?</EDIT>

Last edited:
Dear Phrozen - thank you for your help. If linking a site to a site is what is happening - why would it make a difference to add HTML pages? Also is there some other way to accomplish the sig problem? I might also ask, are there any web sites that help you along to make web pages if you aren't a programmer? Since there are so many sites suddenly, I would think not everyone is learning programming. Again thanks.

Midnight

thank you for your help
Your welcome :)

If linking a site to a site is what is happening - why would it make a difference to add HTML pages?
It's not so much linking a site, it's the files. Say you have a webpage at HOST A, but you have your image at HOST B. That would be considered hotlinking from HOST B.

are there any web sites that help you along to make web pages if you aren't a programmer?
http://webmonkey.com is a site that comes to mind. there are also many WYSIWYG editors available (FrontPage, DreamWeaver etc.). Some are free and some are not.

I would think not everyone is learning programming
HTML isn't really programming. It's really not that hard once you see some examples a couple of time either.

Again thanks
And again your welcome :)

Dear Phrozen - thank you again. I sure am getting a full day's lesson. While running through my search engine for places to store gifs and sig - I notice lots of free webpages. Just how free are they? Do you get a page - but charged for other things or are they truly free? I am referring to a page for personal use, not business. Thanks.

Midnight

Last edited:
When most places say a free webpage, they would also allow you to have iamges as well becasue they can be considered part of the page.

If they say they are free, then they more than likely are becasue they're not oging to have a way to charge you. Afterall, there would be no reason for a free host to ask for billing information.

Dear Phrozen - Again thanks so much. That was the ultimate goal anyway - make a web page I mean. There are a lot of sites advertising free. I know the rules say no suggestions on who, so I won't ask. However, I do have one last question. I had included in my edited post, but somehow I see it's not in the post.
? Since I see members here have sig art too, how did they get it on the forum with out a link. I know there is a box to put the sig in. The question is, how do I get the sig (made on a logo generator and saved to my picture file) out of my picture file and on to a fourm? The advice would be appreciated after taking the better part of the week learning how to make it. Thanks again.

Midnight

Dear Phrozen - I just noticed you have one too. That's why I'm editing. How did you get it up there? Thanks

Last edited:
If you are referring to the images belw our names, aviators, if you will, you need to have at least 150 posts.

Dear Phrozen - again thanks for answering. I didn't know you called it an avatar. The rules vary on other forums. On the SUSA coffee chat (not the real name - it's actually a forum for a show that hasn't been created yet), you can post sigs without any required number of posts. The same for a few of the EZ boards where I am involved with a few topics. I do not know if the same method would apply however. The SUSA boards are a little different and use UBB code. The EZ boards look something like this one. I know they have their own code of some sort, but they also accept HTML. Is that any help? Thanks.

Midnight

dear midnight - we thank you for your inquiries and ease of understandability.

keith

Dear Keith - I thank you too, for your patience with a newbie. I assure you I might understand the the answers to date, but I have this feeling the code (if it's required) is going to be a completly different story. I am not code literate. That's why I have all these questions. That's why the ladies over on SUSA who are as uneducated on computers as I am, went along with the lady who hot linked. We had no idea it was unacceptable. All we knew was that it worked. Now we are scrambling to hold on the what we learned, since it sparked up what was a dull board. Oh well, I hope we can find a way to get past this problem. Thanks again.

Midnight

I am adding this link to one of the thread we girls are working on. Maybe that will help you to undertand what it is we were trying to learn. Thanks again.

http://www.studiosusa.com/mb/NonCGI/Forum15/HTML/001939-4.html

Here is a link to the page where she told us she lost her page. I see she answered my link question. We are a lot slower posting than you are here. Thanks for any help.

Midnight

http://www.studiosusa.com/mb/NonCGI/Forum15/HTML/002025.html

If you back to page 1 of this thread, you will see that none of us is too computer literate - just learning is more like it. Thanks.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums Midnight!

Studio USA looks like a high profile studio to me. May I ask how are you associated with it, if you don't mind that is.

Originally posted by Midnight
Dear Phrozen - again thanks for answering. I didn't know you called it an avatar.
But I think you did. Phrozen didn't call it "avatar" he called it "aviator". Taa-taa! ;)

Dear LastActionHero - To answer your queston, I am a member of the SUSA (Studios USA) forum. Originally there was a very active Xena forum that was taken down only a month ago. Everyone scrambled to other boards, but a few of us continue to gather on the site you see in the link. Since I have always wanted to learn to make a web page - I thought Crysalblue's advice was going to be helpful. I do have some programs that are not exactly web design programs, but have some limited use. One is Photoshop, which I understand has been used in the design of some web pages. I just have to learn how to use it. I have my beginners guide to HTML which looks a little intimidating to learn through the teach yourself method. But with so many people having web pages, it seems like you are left in the past, if you don't have one. Even some of the teens out there have sites.
Midnight

Originally posted by Midnight
Dear LastActionHero - To answer your queston, I am a member of the SUSA (Studios USA) forum. Originally there was a very active Xena forum that was taken down only a month ago. Everyone scrambled to other boards, but a few of us continue to gather on the site you see in the link.

So you are Xena fan ?

One is Photoshop, which I understand has been used in the design of some web pages.

Correction : Photoshop is used in graphics designing. And I hope you bought it and not just copied it ;)

Even some of the teens out there have sites.

Some? Almost every teen on this planet has a webpage! :p

IMO it's hard to learn HTML from books, my advice is to learn HTML on experience. Just take a look at a page's source code and see how they coded everything to look the way it is and learn that way. That's how I learned my HTML.

PS. I'm not saying my method of learning is suitable for everyone.

Dear LastActionFan - thank you for you reply - the answer to your question is sort-of Xena fan. The show got cancelled and Xena got beheaded. That doesn't leave much room to even think movie. I do have my video tapes of better days though. I beleive the negative anger on that board toward the producer-director for doing Xena in, had some to do with the board's early cancellation. It was also a high hit site, and after looking at the Infopop link on the page - Infopop isn't exactly the cheapest forum board around. I think the board also got too much traffic to maintain for a show that no longer airs. The last straw was when SUSA zapped the archives. Apparently, some hacker went into an old Universal Studios page and resurrected a board that accepted only old members. In retaliation, SUSA zapped everything that was Xena. I don't know how you get into a defunct board, but I saw it mysef, the link was posted everywhere there was a Xena site.

Midnight

Last edited:
Dear Lex - Thank you for your advice. I really do think I'm going to have to check out a class for HTML first. I think after I get some kind of overview, then doing what you said will make sense. But I will take your advice.
"Every teen has a site" - you're making me feel like an antique. Isn't it strange how adult ed classes are "still" teaching the 55 plus group basic computing skills and our kids are going strong with their own creative web pages. I am only glad I have a son who is majoring in computer networking in college, or I'd be lost everytime I have computer problems. He was building them when he was in seventh grade. Our young people often don't get the credit they deserve for being very talented and bright when it comes to computers.
Midnight

PS - Maybe you can help me with this to. I have read a number of books that reviewed web page programs. The reason I bought the book on HTML, was because just about every program reviewed had glitches. Frontpage was reputed as having enough bugs to require some HTML skills. I would assume that if I have to learn a programming skill to run a program that is suppose to convert a page to HTML, then why do I need the program (Frontpage). What is your experience using such programs - help or problems? Thanks

Back