• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Size of web hosting industry

Archbob

Level 8 Chinese Guy
NLC
After some research I've concluded that the US web hosting industry is around 32,000,000 domains from www.webhosting.info. But I can't find from webhostinfo or netcraft about that dollar amount this represents . I can't find this information anywhere else either.

Do any of you know a site that says what $$ amount fo US hosting industry represents?
Also I couldn't find if the industry in particular is moving towards or away from consolidation. I know there are thousands of hosts out there, but I'm not sure if overall, the industry is moving towards consolidation or not.

Last edited:
I don' really think it's something you could put a figure on. All you can do is an estimation, because there is so many web hosts, cost variations and no regulatory body.

You say that 32,000,000 domains are hosted by web hosts. What you need to is go through the top 50 hosts or so on that list, to determine a median price for a hosting account. Say it was $5, the industry would be worth $160,000,000.

I think that is as close as you are going to get.

The International Data Corporation (IDC) forecasts web hosting market yearly revenues increasing from $4.8 billion at the end of 2001 to nearly $20.8 billion by the end of 2006*.
U.S. co-location hosting market will increase from nearly $1.2 billion in 2001 to more than $2.6 billion in 2006*.

Back