• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

So why do people want the iPhone 5? I truly want to know!

fsd

I've never been a fan of the iphone. It always seems like the iphone is missing key features.
Back when it was first released (and the second generations too), it couldn't even do what my nokia phone could do.

And now I see everyone around me almost drooling over the iphone 5, most of them pre ordered it and I just don't get it.
Iphone has improved a lot but its still missing so many "standard" features!

What am I missing? Why would anyone want this phone over the competition.

Exactly. I totally agree on this on.
And i think people are running after this just because its Apple's ...

I have been using Android with Samsung for a while now (currently S3), and loved it.

I have been using Android with Samsung for a while now (currently S3), and loved it.

Same here! Galaxy s3 is just awesome! Not sure what makes iphone better. Its not the apps, its not the connector, not the customizability, not the multitasking, not the notifications, not the keyboard, and without a doubt not because of the proprietary connectors (old or new one).

I really don't get it.

Because it's trendy and fashionable

Sure, but what makes it more so than the competition.

The thing I like about the iPhone are the apps... With Android there are thousands of different devices, where some apps will work on one they won't work on another or cause problems which is annoying. On iPhone practically all apps work without a problem as there aren't so many different devices with different kernels, OS's etc.

I'm currently on Android but will be upgrading to the iPhone 5. For me the Samsung Galaxy S3 is too big.

Apple have created a nice image for themselves with the iPhone, they have literally made it the premium brand through advertising and through the cost of the phone itself. But the phone itself is also very nice to use, of course, advertising alone hasn't made it the success that it is. It is genuinely very nice to handle and has all the features people want. Along with great marketing and a great product they have excelled!

But Android phones/tablets are quickly catching up, - it's just how long until Apple can last in "innovating" with their phone designs and software to make it last as a market leader.

I have used many phones... From the old G1 and HTC Hero to the Droid x and x2

I have also used every flavor of iPhone up to this point for some amount of time

I currently have a 4s and here is my view on why I switched from the x2 to iPhone

Stability..... Simply put apple has less devices to contend with so the developers can make apps that work on all of them rather than have to code an app for one device and find out that it glitches and has bugs on another. My droid x2 was a wonderful phone dont get me wrong it just did not have the stability offered by the 4s.

Apple have created a nice image for themselves with the iPhone, they have literally made it the premium brand through advertising and through the cost of the phone itself. But the phone itself is also very nice to use, of course, advertising alone hasn't made it the success that it is. It is genuinely very nice to handle and has all the features people want. Along with great marketing and a great product they have excelled!

But Android phones/tablets are quickly catching up, - it's just how long until Apple can last in "innovating" with their phone designs and software to make it last as a market leader.

Yes, image seems to be all apple has. While the iphone is certainly is powerful and capable, it is continuously been behind. Everything the new iphone can do, my year old android could already do.

I'm not sure how they were innovative, can't think of anything they do that someone else didn't do first.

[JSH]John;1171361 said:
The thing I like about the iPhone are the apps... With Android there are thousands of different devices, where some apps will work on one they won't work on another or cause problems which is annoying. On iPhone practically all apps work without a problem as there aren't so many different devices with different kernels, OS's etc.

I'm currently on Android but will be upgrading to the iPhone 5. For me the Samsung Galaxy S3 is too big.

I have used many phones... From the old G1 and HTC Hero to the Droid x and x2

I have also used every flavor of iPhone up to this point for some amount of time

I currently have a 4s and here is my view on why I switched from the x2 to iPhone

Stability..... Simply put apple has less devices to contend with so the developers can make apps that work on all of them rather than have to code an app for one device and find out that it glitches and has bugs on another. My droid x2 was a wonderful phone dont get me wrong it just did not have the stability offered by the 4s.

I can kinda see how people can think the galaxy s3 is too big, but I don't know of any people who have regretted getting a nice large screen phone (though that might not be true for the galaxy note lol). But thats one of the best things about android devices, there is so many different ones for different people.

However about the apps on different devices, its actually the opposite. If you want software that works for a specific device you out of luck. As a developer, android makes it really easy to get something that works on all devices, this also makes it more future proof. Ios keeps adding features that make it closer and closer to how apps scale in android version one. As apple is one there 4th different ios screen size and more devices than ever, compatibility (in terms of making problems because devices is different) is more of an issue on ios than android.

And as a consumer you shouldn't worry about that. I know of no professionally done apps that don't work and look right on your average android phones.

So is brand and image all iphone has over the competition?

iPhone

1. Reasonably mature developer base so reasonably stable apps that perform reasonably well within the phones capabilities. Somewhat supported by major enterprises for their platforms to staff and clients. Not much fun to tamper with.

2. It's 'Apple' so it's more expensive, which makes some people think it's better!

3. The control drug used in the casing manufacturing process has had enough time to permiate previous and current users skin and blood streams to ensure subconcious cravings for iPhones and accessories.

Android

1. Supported by real pro app writers and total amatuer programmers alike, so a lot of fun to be had there.

2. Major leading hardware brands behind it 100% so yes it can get costly as they need to get that investment back but since there is more than one there will be constant 'ours is better than yours' benefits to end users when they fight it out.

3. Loads of fun to tamper with, hell you've got a full blown OS there that can have so much surgery it's mind blowing...

Symbian mainly Nokia

Still solid but due to retire, with a good app base for those happy with what they have, very functional rather than fun stuff, but reliable.

Windows Mobile - mainly Nokia (see a theme here!)

It's got blocks and stuff!

I've moved to an HTC OneX staying with Android, and you do get used to the size quickly, they're slim and light but you just need to get used to the hand/finger position to use it easily - just the same way we all got used to using tiny phones when they first shrunk :)

iPhone

1. Reasonably mature developer base so reasonably stable apps that perform reasonably well within the phones capabilities. Somewhat supported by major enterprises for their platforms to staff and clients. Not much fun to tamper with.

2. It's 'Apple' so it's more expensive, which makes some people think it's better!

3. The control drug used in the casing manufacturing process has had enough time to permiate previous and current users skin and blood streams to ensure subconcious cravings for iPhones and accessories.

Android

1. Supported by real pro app writers and total amatuer programmers alike, so a lot of fun to be had there.

2. Major leading hardware brands behind it 100% so yes it can get costly as they need to get that investment back but since there is more than one there will be constant 'ours is better than yours' benefits to end users when they fight it out.

3. Loads of fun to tamper with, hell you've got a full blown OS there that can have so much surgery it's mind blowing...

Symbian mainly Nokia

Still solid but due to retire, with a good app base for those happy with what they have, very functional rather than fun stuff, but reliable.

Windows Mobile - mainly Nokia (see a theme here!)

It's got blocks and stuff!

I've moved to an HTC OneX staying with Android, and you do get used to the size quickly, they're slim and light but you just need to get used to the hand/finger position to use it easily - just the same way we all got used to using tiny phones when they first shrunk :)

Lol ya, (is Symbian still considered a mobile os worth using? and don't forget about webos, and even samsung breeze os)

What I don't get about people saying the apps are better on ios because there are a lot of android phones, is that saying windows (and mac and even linux) software must be horrible since one game / program since there are so many different computers with different ram and screen sizes.

And its not like ios has the same advantage as say a ps3 or 360, where a developer would have 5+ years to program and develop for a specific hardware. And even on a game system, they still have to support a few different screen sizes (resolutions). there are 2-3 new ios devices a year (new ipad, new phone and sometime new ipod touch (, and maybe even a new 7'' ipad this year)). Anyone buying an iphone for this reason is really misleading themselves and missing out.

I am glad ios has some good competition! Imagine apple going unchecked!

Symbian is still a good mobile OS, and runs on low end hardware very well.

As for the i5 a dual core 1G Arm7 is a bit less than current offerings of quad 1.5G Tegra (no the i5's dual doesn't pack more than the quads, the apps just don't use it as much so seem to run smoother but with less functionality), and screen res is relative on apps as to whether they depend on it or not (if you write a screen size dependent app your screwed).

Don't forget we've got rumours of a Mozilla phone (unfortunately picking ZTE as a hardware platform) and possible Galaxy S4 out early next year, weapons at the ready :D

Symbian is still a good mobile OS, and runs on low end hardware very well.

As for the i5 a dual core 1G Arm7 is a bit less than current offerings of quad 1.5G Tegra (no the i5's dual doesn't pack more than the quads, the apps just don't use it as much so seem to run smoother but with less functionality), and screen res is relative on apps as to whether they depend on it or not (if you write a screen size dependent app your screwed).

Don't forget we've got rumours of a Mozilla phone (unfortunately picking ZTE as a hardware platform) and possible Galaxy S4 out early next year, weapons at the ready :D

Ya thats one of the problems I have with io, can't tell you how many times I've seen developers hate it when there is some new ios version. Apps just weren't designed to work with multiple phones and versions. WAY more so now that the iphone will have a different resolution, and sure apple made it so old apps will work with the new iphone, but they don't scale like android.

I doubt we'll see a galaxy s4 in the first half of next year, though.

I've never been an Apple fan because of their overpriced products, but I do give them credit for how they market their brand.

I have iPhone 4 but I don't want iPhone 5, instead i want to try something new... I am gonna go with MS Phone 8.

i am currently using iphone4 and i love it....

so i want to see what is best in 5.... so excited about iphone 5

Couldn't agree more. My S2 totally beats the iPhone.

Back