• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Strike Strike Strike!

niv

striking reality
NLC
Projections are for NYC to lose $550M per day, as TWU votes 28-4 to go on strike, potentionally disabling the transit backbone of the city and crippling all five boroughs. Most schools, as mine, have made provisions for final exams, and I'm sure they've done stuff for jobs (although some people did lose jobs as a result). The strike, if carried through, is illegal due to the state's Taylor Law which makes public utility union strikes illegal...we'll see what happens.

First heard on NPR member station WNYC: www.wnyc.org (AM 820)
Weee... :p

Last edited:
If my city's public transit went on strike, the result would be... nothing. Nobody's ever seen their busses that theoretically go through town three or four times a day. Actually I suppose disabled people use it, as they get to call for personal service whenever they like.

Anyhow, point is New Yorkers are spoiled. :p Most places in the country you'd have to own a car to get anywhere.

It's a double-edged sword really; the length of the strike is dependent on how much cash you have to spare, and it really shows how determined you are.

And Hoth, the MTA sucks, I hope you know that. Both sides of this debate, both Toussaint and that jackass Kalikow can shove a sex toy up their anuses. Service is awful, and at the same time we need it.

The only reason you guys don't have it is because idiots like Robert Moses promoting the car and suburban sprawl. Transit systems and living in close-quarters outside of New York City and Boston, on the east coast anyway, have a poverty stigma attached to them and it's a shame. [On an added note Hoth, it's usually the reverse that's more true; usually it is people with cars that drive everywhere that are considered the spoiled ones.]

Last edited:
I drove in today... when the cops stopped me at the 59th street bridge, I showed off the wheelchair and the NYS Handicapped Permit... they said, "Head on in"

Who knew being disabled had it's perks!

I've never been a fan of the MTA due to Handicapped Accessibility and have been driving in for years now.

Everyone is being stubborn. NYC offers a 3% raise every year, MTA wants 8% ... in all reality, we know they'll take 4% so offer up the 4% and move on. A majority of the MTA Employees average $45,000 a year in salary, plus Over Time and Benefits... low salaries like that require them to live in the Suburbs and cost of living increases about about 4% every year.

They're really not being greedy.. I couldn't live on 45k a year. I don't expect anyone else to. But on the other hand. If we strive and carpool, and find alternate ideas to get in, they'll realize we, for the most part, may not be as dependant on them as we thought.

The service they provide really does need to be improved, but with money, it probably can be.

Looks like FWS is the only place with reasonable people...trying to debate this elsewhere is like choking yourself.

I don't think it is unreasonable at all that they should be demanding higher wages since they have every right to have their wages increase with inflation a little more consistently...but I don't really like the idea of not paying for your pension at all. It's like forced saving, if you ask me.

Mahoro said:
Looks like FWS is the only place with reasonable people...trying to debate this elsewhere is like choking yourself.

I don't think it is unreasonable at all that they should be demanding higher wages since they have every right to have their wages increase with inflation a little more consistently...but I don't really like the idea of not paying for your pension at all. It's like forced saving, if you ask me.

Is NYC not offering them a Matched 401k? :shame:

It's not NYC that's doing the offering; the MTA is a state agency. The city administration can only sit back and cry while this debacle happens.

Mahoro said:
It's not NYC that's doing the offering; the MTA is a state agency. The city administration can only sit back and cry while this debacle happens.

This is true, but I'm not sure what differences are entailed with regards to LIRR not striking and the like.

They can sympathy strike and also cause slowdowns, but what makes the NYC Employees different then the Suffolk/Nassau ones that those unions are not striking?

Well, the difference is that the ones that are going on strike are members of TWU Local 100, which is a citywide union, not a statewide union. That's why only NYCT and the two private bus companies were affected.

Mahoro said:
Well, the difference is that the ones that are going on strike are members of TWU Local 100, which is a citywide union, not a statewide union. That's why only NYCT and the two private bus companies were affected.

Nice... I haven't been Union since installing T1's and joining IBEW 99 in Suffolk. I understand that the MTA being quasi-gov't like the Post Office disallows them to strike in general.

I say they do what they gotta do. We'll figure out our own issues... If anyone in NYC needs a ride out of Manhattan come 5pm, PM me.

Yeah, the Triboro/Green lines employees are unaffected by the Taylor law because they are still officially private companies. I'm not going to bother coming into Manhattan today...I don't know about my dad though, he should probably just take the day off if he can :p

Mahoro said:
Yeah, the Triboro/Green lines employees are unaffected by the Taylor law because they are still officially private companies. I'm not going to bother coming into Manhattan today...I don't know about my dad though, he should probably just take the day off if he can :p
I think after 11am they're letting all the cars in.

Question is: Will tomorrow be better, now that we all know te HOV4 rule is for real, or will it be worse! I sat on Van Dam St for 45 minutes to get on that Bridge.

Kevin, good luck with that.

In Montreal they've just made it illegal for public workers to strike, and are paying them jack----. Everyone's angry. So far, someone isn't getting elected next term.

Who loved the traffic in nyc today :) I know I didnt hehe. It was hell driving in and trying to get home. Thank god tomorrow im going to stanford if there is still a strike same my self the headache :)

Welcome to FWS vespa, :). Traffic where we are is very easy, no rush, all calm, saying that I drive a motobike so traffic isnt a problem unless am in my car lol.

Last edited:
Atlanta, horrible traffic. 2nd only to LA. Man am I glad that I work locally. ATL's transit system is overrun by bums who won't let you get tokens unless you give them some booze. There's also the occasional homosexual hooker there too. MARTA is such a joke.

Last edited:
VespaSolutions said:
Who loved the traffic in nyc today :) I know I didnt hehe. It was hell driving in and trying to get home. Thank god tomorrow im going to stanford if there is still a strike same my self the headache :)

5pm I sat on the 59th Street Queensboro Bridge until 6:30.... but when I hit that LIE. MAN!!!! 85mph all the way to Exit 68!

Tomorrow will be worse. Did you hear about all the LIRR guys and gals going to Penn... 10's of Thousands lined up 7th ave, past Macy's

Tomorrow those 10's of thousands are going to say "F the LIRR" and Drive In.

I'm leaving 90 minutes early tomorrow morning.

Back