• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Suitable Compensation ?

fnixws

Kicking your a$$
NLC
Say you have an account with a host, and that host after a few months screws up and looses all your data.

Do you think a 1 off discount of 15% off $7.95 is enough compensation for the loss of your data and 30+ hours work?

Personally, i think the host should be at least offering several months free to all effected clients...

When i told them that was not good enough I was told only "We can supply upto 50% off current bill ($3.95) I know how stressfull this can be sir, we have now lost sadly a fair amount of data ourselfs"

Ok, so they upped the 15% to 50% of a SINGLE BILL!

So, do you think a 1 off discount of 50% off $7.95 is enough compensation for the loss of your data and 30+ hours work?

It is a pity to hear about the experience you had. The compensation is up to the host. I would personally offer more.
BTW are you planning to stay with the same company?

I feel for you, Fee. Sucks not to have backups when you really need it.

Personally, I'd pack my bags and move on to another (hopefully) better host.

Sorry to hear that,too.
Most host companies provide a daily backup guarantee and they should make every effort to help people make backups on their own.That will result a minimum lost.
I cant say whether the compensation is much less or something.Check their TOS about data lost.Many host do have clear words in it.
Whats more,if they cant give a satisfied answer about the downtime.Just do as hamster suggested will be better.
Regards.

I personally think they should give 100% off, but that's just my opinion. Like others said, I might would pack up, because the host should have a form of backup.

With that said, it's also the client's responsibility to maintain backups for themselves.

Sorry to hear you have lost your data.

Thankfully this has never happened to us! Our policy is, if all data is lost and cannot be recovered from backups we offer the next term free. ie. if the customer pays monthly, their next month will be free. If they pay yearly their next year will be free.

If their backup can be recovered or partially recovered we offer a 50% reduction on the next term, upon request.

Well unless it's stated, I believe they don't have to offer anything unless I may be wrong. Still being, I'm not saying it's bad for you to be angry, just that they could have offered nothing (with the bad publicity that goes with that). Now you're telling them that what they have given you free is not enough?

My personal opinion is sure, they should give you a complete refund, but that's not how it works.

By the way: Didn't you have your files backed up? I always keep a copy of my .fla and .swf files (flash site ftw) just incase.

Sorry for your loss.

It is always your reponsability to keep a back up no matter what the host states you should always keep your own back up

Me i woul probably give you three months free at my company but that is how i work.

Why would you still even give this host your business? Screw them and their 15% discount, to be honest. I wouldn't even consider it.

I would expect dataloss unless they said they keept nightly backups in their terms of service, its all ur fault if they didnt, you should of expected the worst and always kept a backup.

To be entirely honest, you should have kept your own backups. In a perfect world the host would never have any data loss and would do nightly backups, but this is not a perfect world. Hosts have to deal with the ever present risk of hardware failure, hackers, and stupid mistakes. Along with a dozen or two other things.

Now, you said the host screwed up. How?. If it was a hardware failure, they can't really do much about it.

That said, I think any competent host should have a full RAID1/5/10 array with weekly backups of the entire array.

As to your question, no. I don't think that is enough compensation. But if the data is truly lost, there is not much else you can do. Best of luck to you in the future.

I think that is pretty good compensation. I have seen a lot of similar stories and you know some web hosts even not compensate at all

While to me there's never enough compensation for any lost data, at least the host has acknowledged the problem and tried to make things (somewhat) better by compensating.

Like others have said, I'd suggest keeping your own backups from now on. Just in case!

Well how about SitePenguin gives you compensation for his screw up? I'd like to offer you 2 months on our plan for free if you choose to PM me.

I am sorry about your data loss.

Say you have an account with a host, and that host after a few months screws up and looses all your data.

Do you think a 1 off discount of 15% off $7.95 is enough compensation for the loss of your data and 30+ hours work?

Personally, i think the host should be at least offering several months free to all effected clients...

When i told them that was not good enough I was told only "We can supply upto 50% off current bill ($3.95) I know how stressfull this can be sir, we have now lost sadly a fair amount of data ourselfs"

Ok, so they upped the 15% to 50% of a SINGLE BILL!

So, do you think a 1 off discount of 50% off $7.95 is enough compensation for the loss of your data and 30+ hours work?

Read their terms of service, most likely it says they are not responsible for data loss. You should ALWAYS maintain your own up to date off site backups, never rely on someone else to keep your data safe for you.

In an unfortunate time like this it is a great time for great customer service. If they really wanted to keep your business then they would offer you something unexpected, like a free year of hosting etc. Would that get your attention?

Mark

In an unfortunate time like this it is a great time for great customer service. If they really wanted to keep your business then they would offer you something unexpected, like a free year of hosting etc. Would that get your attention?

Mark

I share your point of view. Moreover he is not single customer had the issue

Back