• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

The Bible

conkermaniac

VIP
NLC
This question is directed at Christians and Jews in particular, although people of other religious denominations (including atheism) are welcome to respond. What is your opinion of the Bible?

It seems to me like a farce. There are just so many contradictions that it's not even funny. Most of the stories (especially the ones mentioned in the Old Testament) are so inaccurate that it could only be passed off as a myth. It encourages senseless violence, abuse of women, and racism. With so many apparent flaws, I just can't understand why people believe that this book was inspired by their God.

I, myself, am an atheist, but I do not have any problem with people who believe in a god or gods. If you are a Christian who interprets the Bible liberally, then my concerns are not really directed towards you. My question is more for the fundamentalists, or at least the Christians on the right side of the spectrum.

I am too an atheist, though I cannot even begin to make a theory on how the world became. To me, the mysteries of the 'big bang' are enough for me to deny any god.

I fully agree with you, Conker.

I myself am an Athiest also, formerly Christian.
I feel that the organization has done nothing but corrupt religious philosophies.
It have nothing against organized religion, so long as it isn't force upon me or anyone else for that matter.
Religion nowadays is all about money and power, not at all what it used to be.

I personally try and stay as far away as possible as I can from Christianity and Judaism (ooh, I guess I'm anti semetic), as I feel nowadays the beliefs are far to corrupted and bring nothing but problems.

My mom was brought up to think that anyone who dedicated a large portion of their life to their beliefs were weak. I disagree with that, that’s just a wrong way to think. People’s beliefs could possibly empower a person, give then strength and hope in times where most people would have none. Yet, people are scared, I think. They're scared of things they don't know, and to make themselves feel better they believe that a 'higher power' is watching over them, taking care of them. This could very well be how all these religions came about, who knows. They could be old folk tale passed from generation to generation. Or, there could actually be gods watching over us, punishing us for our sins.

Oh my, I’m babbling on again – I tend to do that more often these days :D

Eh, I dun really care. I follow the basic stuff. Don't kill, be a good person, visit the sick, dun steal, all that people stuff. I believe there is a force out there. I can always play devil's advocate with you, and counter any reason you give for the bible being false, but I can do the same to counter any reason the bible would be true. Thus, I don't know nor do I care.

Even Christians have begun to construe the Bible wrong. So of course, with those people trying to teach it, athiests and others are definitely going to have it wrong. A good example is in Conks post.....the Jews do not believe in the New Testament. Christians do. Christians believe in Jesus Christ whereas the Jews believe he was only a prophet, and that the true Son of God has not come yet.

An athiest who goes and tries to read it, will think that the parables are true stories, they arent. They are stories told to represent how you should live your life. The Bible also teaches one thing that most Christians have refused. God said in the Bible that he goes by many names. Yet Christians will call all other religions false regardless of the religion's belief's. Christians need to recheck themselves. I call myself a Christian, but only because I believe in Christ. Christianity however, has many denominations that have twisted things so much. One denomination will teach a certain phrase means one thing, while another denomination will read just the opposite into it. Like the "talking in tongues" that the Apostolic Pentecostals believe is a secret language between You and God. I believe in "talking in tongues" but not the way they do. The Bible clearly says that it is when you talk to a crowd of people who all speak different languages, you speak in yours, they hear it in theirs. Now that would be a cool trick for any candidate running for President :D

Not all stories are original to to the Bible. Noah for example. The story of a flood, one man and his family, and the gathering of animals is noted in religions far older than Christianity. The man has a different name in each one, but still he serves a higher power.....God, Jehovah, The Almighty, The Universal Consiousness, whatever name you want. The flood itself is noted in historical documents, and even modern science has gotten advanced enough to prove there was indeeed a flood of such magnitude. Before that, athiests were denying the flood because they didnt believe in the Bible. Cities noted in the Bible, but nowhere else have been denied as just made up cities, but some of them have now been discovered. You dont believe it when the Bible says it's so, but you believe it once science gets advanced enough to prove the Bible right? Yet you only believe in those things, but still not the Bible? How about the Book of Revelation where John clearly describes Nuclear War? The book is not written in code, it's written so those in the times it happens will understand it. John didnt understand it, neither have most thru history until the Nuke was developed.

The Bible was written for it's times. Maybe it is God's words, but still written as the man writing understood them. It talks of slaves and what rules they should go by, and how they should be treated (nicely of course), but we dont have slavery now, you think? You are still a slave to your job, and your job is a slave to the economy regardless where you work. Slavery isnt always forced, sometimes it is willingly. Your employer, by no longer just Biblical law, but now also labor laws, is required to treat you fairly, pay you fairly, and not put you in harm's way. So in a way, the Bible is still accurate today. Christians who try to force it on you are wrong. I dont force my views on others, and I dont try to force them to live according to my standards. Take a recent debate for example over the Bullfights in Spain. That is their beliefs and I respect that. It is not my place to make them change, nor is it my place to force any other of my beliefs on anyone else.

The Bible is not a bad thing to believe in. It is a more a life guide. Most of us would agree that murder, or even cheating on one's other half is wrong. It is just a guide to help you make decisions when you need then, or want help on a decision facing you. One of the most important lessons in it I think is to not judge other people for who or what they are. As for my beliefs, I will explain them, but feel no need to prove them. They are my beliefs, just like you and your beliefs. Dont ask me to prove there is a God, and I wont ask you to prove there isnt one....neither can be done.

I hate to critize anyway but what webdude said about the bible being a life guide is very dangerous. For one the bible is a text that deplicates life more than 2000 years ago. The world has changed much since then and so has many of the beliefs and values of that time have changed or been lost in the mist of time. Time back then was very different and the views of today see that time as very volience and dangerous by our standards, ofcourse to them it wasn't all that wrong because they were the views of the times. these views do not co-exist with the views of today. If anything it should be a historial document that shows very much how the world has changed. it has also been shown that anything in the bible can be proven to be wrong by any science of today. not to say that some of the values can't be used today it is just that today. that we are not as blind to such beliefs that we can better understand the world than we could back in the day.
Also i want to put forward that i'm an atheist but am tolerate to all faiths and beliefs that anyone has.

Originally posted by Fuzzylogic
I hate to critize anyway but what webdude said about the bible being a life guide is very dangerous.

Really? Name one. Let me see.....far as I know, the ten commandments are still followed, and our laws are even based on them. Unless of course, lying/cheating/stealing/murdering/etc/etc have suddenly become accepted. Forgiving other people is still accepted (turning the other cheek), and I could rattle on about it.

And no, science has NOT proven the Bible false. In fact, if you actually "read" my previous post, you will see it is quite the opposite. Science has not proven "everything" in the Bible, but at the same time it has not proven "any" of it false, but it has most certainly proven quite a bit of it correct. Just remember, the Bible has not changed, yet science has. Science once said the world was flat. It also said the sun revolved around the earth. Give us a few thousand more years, and people of that time may laugh at what science believed in the year 2003. Maybe the aliens will give us some of their knowledge about how they planted us here :p

Believing in a higher power doesnt mean I cant believe in possible aliens too ;)

I love the irony of discussing "The Bible" on a forum about "Free Webspace".

Anyways, as far as "The Bible" goes, I have never read it. I suppose I should. Maybe then I will understand the stories and the teachings of it.

I find it interesting that centuries and centuries ago, the Greeks had their religious doctrines, and they swore by it, and it was what the used, kinda like what Webdude said, as a guide to live their life.

Today, however, we look upon all these stories and documents as mythology. As literature...

So who's to say that in...say, another 2000 years people won't be studying the Bible in school in their grade 10 english class? We might think of that as nothing more than a ludicrous thought, but then again, couldn't the Greek people have said the exact same thing?

I'm not sure what, if anything that really has to do with this thread, but I believe many people take the Bible way too seriously. Whether you believe in what is written in the Bible or not doesn't really matter. We'll never really be able to tell, much like we really cannot prove or disprove the existence of God.

The Bible is bullshit.
It is a way for idiots to make sence of life and dis universe [or should i say sub universe], that can not cope with the truth

Phyxisus, your post is bullshit.

You really shouldn't be calling any thing from any religion bullshit.

As far as the Bible goes, I never really understood it, and I don't intend to. I'm not even an atheist, I just never gave the time to choose what side I'm on or what I believe in. So I guess the Bible would be somewhat based on things that have happened, but I do agree with Webdude saying that it does show good choices to take later on in life.

Fuzzylogic, not much has changed since 2000 years ago. Technology, the sciences and stuff have changed, but not the the primary things in life. Love, joy, family. Whatever. I'm quite sure they still had that back then, because we have it now, just not as widespread as we'd like.

I concur ... Im happy to see so many people agree with the bible's bullshitizm. :)

I cant spell concur?

Last edited:
Following the Bible is dangerous. It recommends that you cut off your wife's hands without guilt if she tries to save you when you are brawling with another man.

It also doesn't make sense. The Lord cannot stand up to a bunch of iron chariots. Go figure.

Webdude, I highly suggested you read this annotated Bible: www.skepticsannotatedbible.com

webdude, as send in your previous post that the sun was once revolved around the earth, that wasn't since that was a belief hold by the church, science was the one to prove that wrong. it was once held by the christain dociate that the stars were the heavens not great big balls of gas undergoing nuclear fusion, creationist theory has been proven wrong by the big bang theory and elvolution. i'm not going to stand here and aruge that whole thing.
tandoc, i get the point, some things never change about the human behaviour and lets hope some things don't.
:D

I see it as just another book, nothing special about. Other than it some pretty damn thin pages, that's all. Just a bunch of fairy tales...

Neither evolution nor the big bang theory have proven there isnt a God. As agreed, whether there is or isnt a God/s cant be proven.

However, the proof for evolution isnt really there either. They have a mere 2-5 bones, and the rest of the skeletons are put together with plastic parts as to what scientists therorize what they would look like. The big bang theory is just that, a theory...a scientific "guess" with no proof to base it on. By the way, quite a lot of ideas based on the (or arising out of) big bang theory have now been possibly proven wrong as I have read in another thread here:::

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A40612-2003Jul10.html

I, myself, am an atheist, but I do not have any problem with people who believe in a god or gods
Well, if you don't have nothing against them (christians, jews), and it is unimportant for you if it(god) exists or not, you are not an atheist, you can be considered as an 'agnostic' (don't know if it's spelled right), atheist, are people who firmly deny his existence, i don't consider myself an atheist, but an agnostic, because it isn't important if they believe, i'm not trying to convince them that god doesn't exists, i live my life my way, following my country rules, and my rules, they live their following their country rules, their god rules and their rules.....

Well, but people mainly believe in God because....

The human brain is already, let's say configured, to believe in a superior force, wether it exists or not, it's in our nature. People who believe too much in the bible, got this education from theirs parents, no one learns this alone, if the parents of a children make him go to church on sundays, most problably this children will grow up believing in god, and most likely give this type of education to his children... Although this ain't quite sure, i thin k it depends on each one, their brain or something, and i truly believe in this, because i have a friend, he had a mother that didn't care to much for him, and his father was always drunk, so, he was always with his grandmother. she used to go to church every sunday, and special ocasions, and he went along with her, since he was always in her house, and he was a truly believer,at least look like one... until he started smoking pot, he became getting worse, worse, and worse, this i was there with him, we had a group that got together and we would smoke some, but i started working in part-time and decided to get out of it it wasn't worthful, well, but my friend got to the point were he started taking harder stuff, started stealing to get the money for it along with the rest of the group, and now he is a mess, he only has 18 years, and has already criminal record, he isn't in jail at this time, because in his last sentence he had to pay a fee, and since he didn't got the money, his mother had to pay it, she is poor, so she tried to kill herself, swalling acid, got into the hospital, and got better, she is currently paying the fee, and i don't know how he is, i don't see him in about 1/2 months, and although he does lives 40meters distance, i don't see him.... me and some more fiends tried talking with im, when we saw that he was getting worse (because pot isn't such a big deal, if you have conscience in what you are doing), but the first time we touched the subject he stoped hanging out with us...
i said all this just to get to the point, were he was a believer, and now what does he does ??!! the last time i saw him he was in the street, with his brain messed up believin nothing....

i know it's a strange story, but it's true...

i said this, just to get to the point that although he did believed in god, what made him change now ? what has gotten diferent within him ?
does anyone stills think that people who believe in the bible, do it because of other thing than their brain ?!

P.S.: As corn said, the bible is just another Best Seller for me, but it is a guide to life to others and we can't argue with that....

Last edited:
while you're right that an atheist flat out denies the notions of the existence of a God, that doesn't mean that an atheist will chastise someone who isn't about believing God. I'm an atheist, and I wouldn't want anyone giving me shit about being one. Even if we believe there is no God, it's still just that - a belief. It still really cannot be proven. In my own mind, I don't need that proof, just as someone who does beleive in God does not need that proof. Basically, I can be an atheist and not be upset over the millions of people who do believe in God, so long as they respect my beliefs as well. That's not agnostic. That's tolerance :)

Back