• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

The Blue Jays

conkermaniac

VIP
NLC
How was there a 40-minute rain delay in the game between the White Sox and the Jays when the stadium had a retractable dome? Does anyone else find that silly? :confused2

Well...try throwing a wet baseball at 90 MPH...oh, and where you want it to go.

As for the dome, I don't really know that much about it. I think it takes a loooong time to open/close.

Originally posted by Canuckkev
Well...try throwing a wet baseball at 90 MPH...oh, and where you want it to go.
It would be hard to control, but I suppose that it would cause such unbalance that the ball would move in an unpredictable motion. Not sure if it would be beneficial to the hitter or the pitcher, but it certainly is detrimental to the runners and the fielders.

And Phyxisus, they do play in the rain, just not when it's raining hard.

I don't know...I think no matter what happened, the Jays would still lose. They're starting to play the way I expect them to, what with all the losing.

Damn I hate baseball.

Conker, the retractable dome is called the SkyDome and many major league stadiums have that. However, it takes on average 60 minutes to open/close.

Amazing how much misinformation there is in this therad. It was a 26 minute delay, and the SkyDome takes 20-25 minutes to close. They started closing the dome a couple minutes before the downpour, and let the grounds crew work on the field a few minutes after it was closed before resuming.

I would speculate that they were hoping to get the game called as a rainout while the Jays were winning, since the Jays make a habit of taking a big lead into the 7th or 8th and watching their bullpen blow it. Unfortunately things didn't get soaked enough in that time to call the game, so they had to go onward and watch the bullpen lose it again.

Nice win for the Jays today... I love the Orioles, they always roll over. And finally, the bullpen has a good game.

many major league stadiums have that

No, there is no other retractable dome in baseball. There are several retractable lid stadiums, but that is an entirely different thing. A retractable dome is considerably different from those flat box-shaped stadiums where they can pull the lid back.

Last edited:
Since you seem to have some information on the subject, what are the lid stadiums like, compared to the Skydome?

i don't think there is anyother stadium like Skydome where they have a retractable lid or dome...

all the other stadiums i can think of are either just dome/lid or no dome

Stadiums with retractable roofs are Houston, Milwakee, Seattle and Arizona... at least that's all I can remember at the moment. Those stadiums open and close very quickly (about 5 minutes), and can be more fully opened (SkyDome is always about 30% covered even when retracted), but the roof is low and it simply looks like they're playing in a shoe box. Personally, I like the dome shape better. SkyDome is much, much higher than the stadiums with lids. Economically, the flat retractable roof just makes more sense.. much easier to build that way. Thus that's how they've built all the recent ones.

Back